Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect water heater struggling

Options
dwigman
dwigman Member Posts: 2
Hello,
I recently purchased a home which has an Amtrol Boilermate 41 gallon indirect water heater. All was great with it until recently. I am able to take a short shower in the morning with warm, not hot, water. It takes the rest of the day to recover for the next morning. Wondering what some common causes for this type of problem are with this unfamiliar water heating system.

Thanks!

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Is it connected to the boiler with a circulator pump, or zone valve?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • dwigman
    dwigman Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Zone valve I believe.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    Check and make sure the aquastat on the indirect is calling and the zone valve is operating and the main pump is operating.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    How is the rest of your heat working? Do any of the other zone valves stay open all day?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    My first guess is that the coil in the boilermate has calcified. What is your water quality like?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    GordyGBartSTEVEusaPA
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Pics please.
    It could be a bad zone valve, circulator, aquastat, air, relay, etc.
    Post some pics of the whole system from about 6 ft away.
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Something is on the way out

Call a pro, have it checked out in person, if something was dead like a circ or zv it would never recover, you would only have cold water, heat ex could be covered in deposits OR if you have water treatment and you dumped a ton of soda ash in you killed it.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    This just changed overnight, right?
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Options
    You really need a pro to check it out, there might be nothing wrong with the unit it could be your house, it could be if you have water treatment a soda ash deposit ruined it, it could be your washing machine is allowing cold water into the hot line, could be you have anti sweat valves for your toilets doing the same.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    ^ I think that’s a bit excessive when all was working well until recently......