Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Propress Fittings

Options
Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
Hi Guys,
Just wondering what your opinions are on propress fittings on hot water heating systems? Extremely fast for repairs, I guess I am still a bit old school and am concerned about the heat and the O-rings.
Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,965
    Options
    Not a problem found. I have been using them for years now. First started using them for commercial work up to 4" in diameter.
    I was not unlike you being a "old school" type.
    The quality of the fittings. The installation process all have performed great. No need to be concerned about the Viega, ( I think they call it ?) Elastromaric seal. Or " O " ring as you put it. I have been using Viega for years. No complaints. All dimensions.
    Roohollah
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Probably been 30 years or more that press has been in use in the US, so a good track record.

My advice would be to pay attention to prepping the pipe, a bit of scratch cloth to assure no grooves, scratches, stickers, tape residue, etc. Also an OD reamer so the cut tube end does not damage the o-ring. Ream the inside while you are at it, some reamers can do ID and OD.

I suspect many of the failures out there could be traced to installation error, poor pipe prep, tool out of adjustment or not squeezed straight.

Viega for one offers a selection of rings, high temperature applications like solar thermal may be best installed with the higher rated o-ring.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    RoohollahIronman
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    Ditto to the above
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    They're awesome.

I didn't think I'd ever make the switch and my only regret is not doing it decades earlier.

The future is now.
    Steve Minnich
    IronmanRich_49
  • Intplm.
    Options
    The fittings are not rated for for soft copper tubing. Be careful not to use the fittings with coiled soft copper.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    > @Intplm. said:
    > The fittings are not rated for for soft copper tubing. Be careful not to use the fittings with coiled soft copper.

That I have to look up!
  • Intplm.
    Options
    pecmsg said:

> @Intplm. said:

> The fittings are not rated for for soft copper tubing. Be careful not to use the fittings with coiled soft copper.

That I have to look up!

I looked. There may have been a up grade so that you can press soft tubing up to 1-1/4". Cant verify it. Trying my rep to get specs.
  • BigRob
    BigRob Member Posts: 322
    Options
    So awesome for large diameters.

The new press refrigeration fittings are cool, too.
  • Intplm.
    Options
    Intplm. said:

The fittings are not rated for for soft copper tubing. Be careful not to use the fittings with coiled soft copper.

Intplm. said:

pecmsg said:

> @Intplm. said:

That I have to look up!

I looked. There may have been a up grade so that you can press soft tubing up to 1-1/4". Cant verify it. Trying my rep to get specs.
    Ok ....So I got the information from my Viega Rep.

He says the fittings can be used with L or K tubing. Diameters half through inch and a quarter. Period.

Hope that clears up any confusion.
    realliveplumber
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    Options

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    Now that's confusing!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    Options
    I have herd it's not recommended on the thin tubing used in copper fin baseboard but everyone does it.

Don't forget they are talking 600psi with water. Most systems don't ever see anything like that
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I use a ton of it in commercial, never a problem that wasn't installer error. If given the choice though, I still try to sweat as much as possible. I'm getting lazier as the days go by so that attitude is starting to fade, but anywhere that doesn't get insulated is sweat, regardless. Press is UGLY
    Intplm.Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Steve_210
    Options
    Thanks everyone I did use it on three-quarter Fin tube baseboard last week I will keep an eye on that.
    Also Done aLot of 4 inch copper L
    Labor savings on that was tremendous
    Thanks again all
    Intplm.
  • Steve_210
    Options
    Plus the liability (no flame) is huge
    Intplm.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Viega makes a brass 3/4” stiffer to be used in 3/4” copper baseboard
    TinmanDZoro
  • Intplm.
    Options

Gonna have to have another conversation with the Viega rep.
    realliveplumber