Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

1936 Two Pipe Steam System - Stamford CT

YE_79YE_79 Posts: 2Member
Hello, looking for recommendations for a reliable and trustworthy mechanic/technician/diagnostician in the area for a 1935/36 two pipe steam system. Just closed on the home and am undertaking a significant renovation. Any steam-heads in this neck of the woods? Thank you.

Comments

• JUGHNEJUGHNE Posts: 5,778Member
    While you wait, you could post some pictures.
    From what you might learn here you are prepared to vet any potential steam contractors.
  • nicholas bonham-carternicholas bonham-carter Posts: 7,858Member
    edited February 13
    Where is your neck of the woods?—NBC
    Edit-now I see!!- Connecticut
  • Jamie HallJamie Hall Posts: 10,638Member
    Step one would be to order the book "We Got Steam Heat" -- a good place to start.
    Jamie

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
  • YE_79YE_79 Posts: 2Member
    I will try to post some pics, but thought you all might get a kick out of the attached/uploaded original specs for the heating system. We were fortunate enough to find the original 1935 architectural drawings and specifications during clean-out and demo. Any ideas for technicians in the area? Fairfield County, Ct.
  • Jamie HallJamie Hall Posts: 10,638Member
    Ah. Originally a Webster vapour system, I see. A very fine steam system. Unfortunately, also very subject to knuckleheads.

You might try Charles Garrity ( @Charlie from wmass ) -- I think he has been known to get that far. One of the best.

In the meantime, make sure that the system cutout pressure is less than a pound -- probably more like 8 ounces. You'll need a vapourstat to do that.
    Jamie

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
  • STEVEusaPASTEVEusaPA Posts: 3,063Member
    Nice piece of history you have there.
    steve
  • Charlie from wmassCharlie from wmass Posts: 4,070Member
    @Jamie Hall I was just working on a Webster system yesterday I Ascutney VT. They are quite particular about keeping the pressure on the low side.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • PMJPMJ Posts: 808Member
    Anyone notice the boiler size in the spec compared to the radiation?
  • FredFred Posts: 7,906Member
    edited February 16
    PMJ said:

Anyone notice the boiler size in the spec compared to the radiation?

I did, in fact. It looks like when you factor in another 33% piping and pick-up to the Radiation the boiler is still about 25% larger than the connected radiation and this was an oil system so coal wasn't a factor.
    Although the contract does say the Contractor is obligated to verify all measurements/sizes and that the specifications are a general guide. Can't say what was actually installed?
  • Charlie from wmassCharlie from wmass Posts: 4,070Member
    Remember the boiler rating may not have had a pickup factor like we do now. Also they were factoring in for the domestic water production with the taco sidearm.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • PMJPMJ Posts: 808Member
    Weren't the controls actually more sophisticated than a simple pressure stop? As discussed before it doesn't take a lot more control than that to turn extra boiler into an asset.