Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1936 Two Pipe Steam System - Stamford CT

YE_79
YE_79 Member Posts: 2
Hello, looking for recommendations for a reliable and trustworthy mechanic/technician/diagnostician in the area for a 1935/36 two pipe steam system. Just closed on the home and am undertaking a significant renovation. Any steam-heads in this neck of the woods? Thank you.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    While you wait, you could post some pictures.
    From what you might learn here you are prepared to vet any potential steam contractors.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited February 2019
    Where is your neck of the woods?—NBC
    Edit-now I see!!- Connecticut
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Step one would be to order the book "We Got Steam Heat" -- a good place to start.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • YE_79
    YE_79 Member Posts: 2
    I will try to post some pics, but thought you all might get a kick out of the attached/uploaded original specs for the heating system. We were fortunate enough to find the original 1935 architectural drawings and specifications during clean-out and demo. Any ideas for technicians in the area? Fairfield County, Ct.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Ah. Originally a Webster vapour system, I see. A very fine steam system. Unfortunately, also very subject to knuckleheads.

You might try Charles Garrity ( @Charlie from wmass ) -- I think he has been known to get that far. One of the best.

In the meantime, make sure that the system cutout pressure is less than a pound -- probably more like 8 ounces. You'll need a vapourstat to do that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Nice piece of history you have there.
    steve
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    @Jamie Hall I was just working on a Webster system yesterday I Ascutney VT. They are quite particular about keeping the pressure on the low side.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • PMJ
    PMJ Member Posts: 1,265
    Anyone notice the boiler size in the spec compared to the radiation?
    1926 1000EDR Mouat 2 pipe vapor system,1957 Bryant Boiler 463,000 BTU input, Natural vacuum operation with single solenoid vent, Custom PLC control
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited February 2019
    PMJ said:

Anyone notice the boiler size in the spec compared to the radiation?

I did, in fact. It looks like when you factor in another 33% piping and pick-up to the Radiation the boiler is still about 25% larger than the connected radiation and this was an oil system so coal wasn't a factor.
    Although the contract does say the Contractor is obligated to verify all measurements/sizes and that the specifications are a general guide. Can't say what was actually installed?
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Remember the boiler rating may not have had a pickup factor like we do now. Also they were factoring in for the domestic water production with the taco sidearm.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • PMJ
    PMJ Member Posts: 1,265
    Weren't the controls actually more sophisticated than a simple pressure stop? As discussed before it doesn't take a lot more control than that to turn extra boiler into an asset.
    1926 1000EDR Mouat 2 pipe vapor system,1957 Bryant Boiler 463,000 BTU input, Natural vacuum operation with single solenoid vent, Custom PLC control