Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do I stop the banging in this steam boiler?

Joseph_4
Joseph_4 Member Posts: 271
Hello out there, I have a customer who has a green mountain steam boiler which got a leak in it and all the water leaked out a few times. To try to get him over to the summer I got some boiler sodder which the manufacturer green mountain said would be a good idea to put in and they recommend it. I have done this multiple times before and have never had this problem, this is the first time that the water line is jumping a lot and there is water getting into the header and there is a lot a lot of banging and hammering. I did a cleaning of the boiler and flushed it out and didn't really get much leftover sodder and I did a steam cleaning which I don't know if that was ever done when it was installed and i am still getting some vicious banging, how do I stop the pipes from banging? I don't believe that new water is getting into the header, but does anyone have any ideas of how to get the water out?

Comments

• Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Where's the water level in the sight glass? Is it bouncing up and down a lot? good pictures of the whole boiler and near boiler piping would be super helpful.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    Ironman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    At What pressure is the boiler operating?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    As the literature says... boiler solder makes a tough, flexible seal over leaks. Trouble is, it can't distinguish a leak from any other smallish opening, and forms a tough, flexible seal over them, too.

So...

Assume that the pigtail is clogged and the opening into the boiler. Assume that the gauge glass is clogged and its openings into the boiler. Assume that the low water cutoff is compromised. Assume that any vents which may have reached by boiler water are ruined.

And start cleaning stuff. Also check the opening into the bottom of the pressuretrol -- if the stuff reached that, it's also clogged.

Oh and drain and refill the boiler several times until you're reasonably sure the stuff is gone completely.

You've got some work to do...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Grallert
  • Joseph_4
    Joseph_4 Member Posts: 271
    Operating pressure set at between .5lb and 1.5 pounds