Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Moving a steam radiator across the room

Options
branimal
branimal Member Posts: 210
I'm renovating a 1100 sq ft apartment in Brooklyn NY. The steam system is one pipe powered by a new gas boiler.

I've moved a few radiators 6-12" to accommodate the new floor plan.

But now I'm considering moving a radiator across the room about 10'. I'd need to drill one joist bay, make a 90 degree turn and then run the steam pipe under the floorboards to the new location. I have the space to maintain an adequate pitch back to the steam pipe.

Pic: Blue arrow shows the move. Pink stars are standing steam pipes. And the rest of the radiators are labeled throughout the floor plan.

Given my layout, do I even need a radiator at the proposed location, or would I be better served capping the existing radiator. The proposed area is best described as a hallway / hub area to the bedrooms and bathrooms.

I realize you might need an EDR calc of the other radiators to answer this question. I can come up with that if needed.

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Is that an exterior wall, or your neighbor’s wall?

Also curious, is that a pantry next to a closet?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • branimal
    Options

Is that an exterior wall, or your neighbor’s wall?

Also curious, is that a pantry next to a closet?

Hey Paul.

The wall where the blue arrow originates is a party wall. These are attached buildings.

The closet that says W/D is for washer dryer and next to it is a common closet. I suppose that is a little weird.... I could still swap them. Nothing is finalized yet.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    I don't think it's weird. I should have figured out what W/D was. :)

If it were me, I'd run the line while the place was torn up, but maybe hold off on installing the radiator to see how the space does. I would think a radiator in the center of the space is less useful than one on the wall, especially in a transitional space, but I can't wait to hear what the experienced people think!
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    branimal
  • ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 355
    Options
    Have you done a heat loss calculation on this - it looks like you already have two radiators in the room? It also looks like you're on the top floor, so I assume that you have or will be insulating the ceiling/roof to modern standards? And is the heating system run correctly and how is it controlled? In other words, if somebody has control of the thermostat and keeps it cold, etc...
    branimal
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I'd be a little concerned about moving that radiator across the room as it looks like the other two radiators on that side of the apartment are out on the ends of the unit and probably in enclosed rooms. What is the EDR of the radiator you want to move and each of the others as well.

Given the current layout (before the rad move) are there spaces on that floor that are already cooler than you'd like, due to a lack of radiation and, if so, on which side of the apt.?
    branimal
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    You mention drilling a joist bay. Please be aware that there are positions in the depth of a joist where it may be permissible -- and positions where it isn't, as well as limitations on the size of the hole drilled.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    branimal
  • branimal
    Options

Have you done a heat loss calculation on this - it looks like you already have two radiators in the room? It also looks like you're on the top floor, so I assume that you have or will be insulating the ceiling/roof to modern standards? And is the heating system run correctly and how is it controlled? In other words, if somebody has control of the thermostat and keeps it cold, etc...

Working on the Heat loss calculation.

There will be 2 large radiators on the other side of the room. Bedrooms will have small radiators in them.

This is the 3rd floor (top) of an attached building. Party walls are single layer of brick noggin.

Brand new gas steam boiler. 100 ?? year old pipes.

B/c it's a shared boiler (1 for the 3 units), I will control the thermostat myself.
  • branimal
    Options
    Fred said:

as it looks like the other two radiators on that side of the apartment are out on the ends of the unit

What do you mean by the radiators are on the ends of the unit?
    Fred said:

What is the EDR of the radiator you want to move and each of the others as well.

working on that calc.
    Fred said:

Given the current layout (before the rad move) are there spaces on that floor that are already cooler than you'd like, due to a lack of radiation and, if so, on which side of the apt.?

Great question. Tough to say b/c the place is gutted. And the brick noggin is exposed @ the front and back of the building. It's just cool everywhere on that floor.

• branimal
    Options

You mention drilling a joist bay. Please be aware that there are positions in the depth of a joist where it may be permissible -- and positions where it isn't, as well as limitations on the size of the hole drilled.

Jamie.... good point. I'll have to look up the tables on where 3"x8" (actual) joists can drilled and acceptable hole size.

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    @branimal My comment: (as it looks like the other two radiators on that side of the apartment are out on the ends of the unit) was intended to suggest that because the two radiators I see on that side of the apartment appear to be on each end of the apartment, I'm wondering if there is enough radiation to actually warm that side, after you move the middle radiator to the other side of the apartment. There are a lot of doors in that hall and I suspect much of the heat, from the newly located radiator will end up in those rooms. Just an observation.
    branimal