Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

classic!

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,788
A friend told me about this house that's on the market, I just had to see it. If I had excess dough in my bank account i would scoop this house up---needs too much work on the outside.

It's a one pipe, all of the returns drop into the wet piping. Some bird installed the 30-40 year old gas boiler on the floor, but the wet piping is about 3-4' off the floor along the walls.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/56240290_zpid/42.142087,-72.599459,42.06669,-72.725801_rect/12_zm/1_fr/

Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• GW
    I guess I should have typed two-pipe LOL
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,986
    GW said:

I guess I should have typed two-pipe LOL

Not just two pipe -- but two pipe with air vents! A real antique!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • GW
    edited February 2019
    yes even a small water closet for the fire man

1890 home
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Boiler piping is a mess, as usual.
    GWCanucker
  • GW
    Charlie you out there? Lets buy this beast
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    kcopp
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,998
    Just a bit of flame roll out!! Two pipe air vent that is really old. Nice copper scrap around the boiler. That big room looks like it could be a Gym
  • GW
    edited February 2019
    LOL Ed I'm gonna start a go-fund-me cause i want this house, can i count on a 50-spot from you?

that's 50 large BTW, hit me!
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    my only other pic, I should have taken more

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,025
    I counted 6 fireplaces. This place is awesome to someone who likes vintage housing with real 2" x 4" actual size framing. It's a shame it has gotten into this condition.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    How bad is it? The pics don’t look hateful, but that price is fire sale low. Around me that would go for double what they are asking, and I consider my area relatively cheap.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Tinman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,998
    @GW $50 I am ok with 50 large.....not so much!! I am sure it would be nice if all fixed up.
  • Looks like there is a boiler in the garage as well, or at least something with a chimney.—NBC
  • Fred
    It really doesn't look like it is in that bad a shape. Floors look original, all interior casings look original and mostly unpainted. Plaster looks pretty good. I'm sure the windows are replacements and some of them don't look like they were sized to the original openings, height wise. The rear addition(s) don't look like they were well thought out and the attached garage isn't period appropriate but at least its at the rear of the home. Looks like a decent amount of land. Electric looks like its had some upgrade but still needs more. Probably still a lot of tube and knob left in the house. Always questionable. I'd want to upgrade that too. Detached garage is setting right on the ground. Don't know if there is a foundation under it. I'm pretty sure it has a dirt floor. I'd probably take a chance on it but I wouldn't offer full asking.
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    I’ve worked on the steam system at North Wales Farm in Warrenton, VA. It sold for $21 million several years ago.

We do large industrial boiler work at large chicken brand company in MD. In a couple of months I am going to the owners new house to check out his steam system. I was told it’s got a five section Weil McLain in it.

The North Wales Farm house had two separate boiler rooms/steam systems in it.
    Never stop learning.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,998
    I think Tom Hanks and Shelley Long are the sellers.
    CanuckerCTOilHeatethicalpaulErin Holohan Haskell
  • GW
    Yes the pics undersell the interior (the woodwork and fireplaces are jaw dropping) but the exterior is just beat. The realtor say the bank is in it for 225 or so and that the asking price is a bait and switch maneuver. My friend really likes it and has a little cash I guess. It’s so darn tempting
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Fred
    GW said:

Yes the pics undersell the interior (the woodwork and fireplaces are jaw dropping) but the exterior is just beat. The realtor say the bank is in it for 225 or so and that the asking price is a bait and switch maneuver. My friend really likes it and has a little cash I guess. It’s so darn tempting

I've purchased several bank owned properties. More often than not, they will take far less than they have in it to get it off their books and eliminate the maintenance, grass gutting code violations, etc. and they write off the loss, especially if they know it will take a healthy budget to make the repairs. I have bought them for half the list price. Just depends on how long its been on the market, an estimate of needed repairs and how hot the market is in the area.