Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A personal-size nuclear reactor (ad from 1957)

Options
VAsparky
VAsparky Member Posts: 23
The ultimate toy - and it fits in your garage:
coldwar-c4i.net/EW-1957-01-28/059.html

Unfortunately it only puts out 5 watts. Too bad they didn't make a model that could be used for home heating. I'd buy one >:)

Comments

• Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I remember reading an older magazine that said in future we would all have a small reactor in cellar for home heating. How many techs would be up to clean that.?
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    edited January 2019
    Options
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Or your car....

ratioSolid_Fuel_ManErin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    Yeah!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    I remember those days well... no carbon emissions, no smog... then people with no background or science got scared, and now where are we?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    BigRob
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Mr. Fusion!

Honestly, I dont think a micro nuclear reactor which would be a packaged unit and self contained is too far out of reach.

Question is, would it be even close to being cost effective?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • sunlight33
    sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
    edited January 2019
    Options
    In the old days developers at Army said they could make a nuclear hand grenade if there was anyone dumb enough to throw it.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    edited January 2019
    Options

I remember those days well... no carbon emissions, no smog... then people with no background or science got scared, and now where are we?

Jamie,
    Previously I was perfectly ok with you having a reactor because you're far from me.

After your boiler almost buying the farm, I think I'm now going to have to respectfully say it's in everyone's best interest if you don't have a fission reactor. ;)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    nibsEdTheHeaterMan
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Options
    Have no problem with atomic energy, after all the world relies on the rather large reactor in the sky.
    Have a huge problem with silly waste disposal schemes and sloppy commercial reactor maintenance and design.
    Once knew an electrician who worked at one of the large nuclear generators, his tales of the terrible maintenance and safety work-arounds was frightening. One would hope that this has changed in the 20 years since we were neighbors, but I fear not.
    CLamb
  • sunlight33
    Options
    Many years ago I was interviewed for a job to maintain the nuclear reactor for a Navy testing site, the place was pretty secure as you could have imagined, tall fences and guards with lots of dogs. After the interview I got to chat with some of the people on a more personal level, so I raised health concern. I don't remember exactly what was said but the impression I got was that the place was not very balls-friendly. I was young back then so eventually I turned it down, the pay wasn't great either and some night shifts were mandatory.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Was that over at Rainbow? That was an odd place -- a mix of Navy nukes and civilians. The Navy nukes had no problem with it -- but then, the Navy has been running reactors for 60 years now... but then, their philosophy from the beginning has been do it right the first time, and every time, or you'll find yourself skippering a row boat at Jones Beach... in February.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Docfletcher
  • sunlight33
    Options
    It was at the Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory, located in a pretty depressing region in NY, that was back then. The thought that you are alone in the control room at 3am then you suddenly got the urge to push that red button, something only existed in science fiction or cartoon, could be a reality over there, definitely not a job for someone lacking self-discipline. ;)
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    Options
    Anyone who finds this thread entertaining and hasn't seen the latest episode of Young Sheldon would do well to keep an eye out for when it's rerun. :)
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Options
    My neighbor was at San Onofre.
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Options
    > @sunlight33 said:
    > In the old days developers at Army said they could make a nuclear hand grenade if there was anyone dumb enough to throw it.

They did make a prototype nuclear rifle/cannon. The firing crew was stuck inside the blast radius
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Wiley coyote stuff......
    Intplm.EdTheHeaterMan