Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does Maid-O-Mist make a straight version of 0220-5L kit w/all ports included??

Options
5horizonsrr
5horizonsrr Member Posts: 58
edited January 2019 in Strictly Steam
Hi everyone, the title pretty much says it all: does Maid-O-Mist make a straight version of the kit above, which includes all the various ports so I can play around a bit? Preferably 1/4"?

Any part number or online links would be appreciated if so- thanks! I effectively need the part below but with a variety of openings so I can play with the venting:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Jacobus-Maid-O-Mist-J6S4-6-1-4-Straight-Air-Valve-7864000-p

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Can you use nipple and elbow to make it work?—NBC
  • 5horizonsrr
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hi Nick. I could, but was trying to steamline things. Its a nipple + elbow + 1/4-1/8 coupler as the kit sits, so I thought I'd check if there was another kit I didn't know about
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    They make a straight vent but I don't think any of them have the adjustable ports.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    Fred said:

They make a straight vent but I don't think any of them have the adjustable ports.

Their straight radiator vent has the same threaded orifices as the right angle. I have one on a wall radiator. However, I'm finding I need something smaller than a #4.

Maid-O-Mist sent me a drill size chart a while back that corresponded to the orifice size. At one Time I was going to see if I could get blanks. The threads are 10-32 on the orifices if that helps. A good machine shop could probably make them out of brass rod.
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    Why MoM and not Gorton? The Gorton's are much better quality, metal internals as opposed to plastic and will last considerably longer. Gorton also has a full line of straight vents.
  • 5horizonsrr
    Options
    Hi- I'm going MOM at least for now as I"m not 100% sure what sizes will solve it, so the adjustability is nice. (hoffman 1a and vent rite are probably too small) I agree the gortons are great but at 1/4 the price Id do maid o mist kits to start and sort the venting.

I"m going to pop by plumbing supply tomorrow and see what I can come up with...
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,005
    Options
    If you need smaller than a #4, try a VentRite#1. It can pass a #5 capacity and be shut all the way off.
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,005
    Options
    I called MOM asking about orifices and was sent some at no cost.
  • 5horizonsrr
    Options
    Thanks- I think I need a "6", but might have to go one smaller.

The 2nd floor thermostat is satisfied before enough heat goes to the 3rd floor, so the "C"s in place need some downsizing. At least hope that solves it. The Vent-Rite 1's sorted my first floor

More to follow...
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    I can send you a 6. I have lots of that size left over after slowing down all my radiator vents after installing my main vent (it's a process LOL)
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • 5horizonsrr
    Options
    Thanks Paul! I bought the 1/4" straight ones for easy fitment, so all good. If they don't work I can pivot to whatever works.

We are all in now, I'm hoping once things settle overnight the issues are finally 100% resolved.

Current configuration (all fin convector heaters with tubes):
    1fl: Vent Rite 1's
    2fl: M-O-M 's 6's in the main rooms, and a Gorton 5 in the bath
    3 fl: Gorton D across the board.

A question so I learn about valves for future reference: some of the old valves looked fine, but had some water built up within when I removed them which dripped out the bottom as I handled them. Does this mean they are no good, or is that a normal thing?
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    If anyone ever needs vents, I have a box of them barely used.

Maybe one of the contractors that uses them a lot could trade me the lot for a big mouth.