Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

"Find a Contractor" page

Options
Zipper13
Zipper13 Member Posts: 229
edited January 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
Just wondering if the contractors listed in the "find a contractor" section are somehow vetted and verified or specifically recommended by the community here, or if it's mostly a paid ad service.

There's nothing wrong with ads, but with everyone always being directed to that section - especially in the simply steam page - I'm wondering how much better that is than the yellow pages.
New owner of a 1920s home with steam heat north of Boston.
Just trying to learn what I can do myself and what I just shouldn't touch

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    The Find a Contractor page is paid, but of the various outfits who are on it of whom I have personal knowledge, it is used only by those who care enough about their work to want to support this web site and who do quality work. Further, not everyone known to us who does quality work is listed, for a variety of good reasons.

Are they personally vetted by the community as a whole? No. Nor am I particularly convinced that such vetting would be advisable, never mind acceptable. That said -- this is a pretty small community, and the odds are that if individuals don't happen to know each other, the odds are excellent that everyone knows someone who does know.

Is it better than the Yellow Pages or Yelp or what have you? Oh yes, indeed it is.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ZmanErin Holohan HaskellZipper13