Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Trap or strainer?

Mike_SheppardMike_Sheppard Posts: 388Member
edited January 7 in THE MAIN WALL
Is this a steam trap or a strainer? It’s on the condensate return just before the feedwater tank. Never seen one like it.

If it’s a trap it’s coming out!
Never stop learning.

Comments

• Erin Holohan HaskellErin Holohan Haskell Posts: 920Member, Moderator, Administrator
    Photo?
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Mike_SheppardMike_Sheppard Posts: 388Member
    > @Erin Holohan Haskell said:
    > Photo?

A photo might help a little... my bad!

Photo added to main post
    Never stop learning.
  • Jamie HallJamie Hall Posts: 10,024Member
    Looks an awful lot like a strainer to me... complete with a little drain port to allow flushing out the collected goop.
    Jamie

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
    @Jamie Hall that’s what I am thinking. But I am not 99% sure. Perhaps I will just take it apart. If it’s a strainer it probably needs to be cleaned and if it’s a master trap it needs to be removed.
    Never stop learning.
    edited January 7
    Someone I know mentioned this may have been a strainer on a vacuum system, and something may have been connected to the top.

Now I’m wondering if it used to be a vacuum system. Is there a way to tell other than counting the EDR and comparing supply/return pipe sizes?

Has anyone ever re-installed a vacuum pump system before?

Edit: Building was built in 1917. Could it have had a mechanical vacuum system?
    Never stop learning.
  • EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 5,280Member
    looks strainerishto me