Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

selling steam

Options
2»

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,247
    Options
    @mike2015 if you have creepy feeling walk away. Some customers are parasites. Also document everything.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Danny yes but don’t we still generally differentiate for sake of context?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Options
    Gerry yes I don’t get the volume of calls you do, I’m chipping at it though. I think my new thing will be measuring the time to heat up the mains with old vents compared to new vents, probably something you did a million years ago lol 😆
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    I don’t @GW. I advertise as specializing in all forms of hydronic heating. I discuss with my customers their gravity hot water systems, forced hot water systems, 1-pipe steam systems, 2-pipe steam systems (and so on). Knowledge is power. Educate your customers. You sell steam (or anything for that matter) by differentiating yourself from your competitors. The fact that I always install a minimum of a 3” drop header with use of both risers (domestic black pipe/fittings), skim station, boiler skimming, water testing, main/radiator vent upgrades, etc. actually wins me more jobs than loses me because I can point to the fact that my competitors weren’t even willing to offer this. You’re a professional. You can tackle this no problem.
  • PMJ
    PMJ Member Posts: 1,265
    Options
    jumper said:

We read about high end homes with high end steam systems that go decades without constant attention. With modern methods even more doable today. But I agree we'll never see steam in new single homes again.

I have one of those higher end homes with 2 pipe built in the 1920's. It is true, decades without problems. I put my system up against anything for all in equipment/fuel/maintenance annual cost over its working life so far. Nothing close. 2 boilers in 93 years. Nothing available today will beat it either, not with the too frequent total replacements that will be necessary. Think 10-20% better fuel economy will close the gap (even if it were true) think again.

The trouble is that straightening out one of these systems that has had various knuckleheads over the years generally takes more $$$ than most are willing to spend. The contractor needs to spend some time there and go into all the rooms probably multiple times which makes some folks uneasy. I did all the work myself, none of it major but does take time and observation. The live in steam man has a major advantage. But in total all my hours I would say only 5% actual repair(and de-knuckleheading) and 95% experimenting and research. I have often thought that a contractor would have trouble getting paid for the hours he probably would like to spend checking things - and under different conditions. So unfortunately most of these systems are currently operating well below their potential. As a result steam has a bad reputation as noisy, inefficient, and high maintenance. If folks would just belly up one time with a good contractor and get it done they would see how effortless steam can be.

I agree that the best chance a contractor has is - local reputation and word of mouth. Few will pay more based on an advertisement or video ...not that they hurt anything. But when someone you actually know who has a system like yours recommends a contractor you are more likely to consider a higher price.
    1926 1000EDR Mouat 2 pipe vapor system,1957 Bryant Boiler 463,000 BTU input, Natural vacuum operation with single solenoid vent, Custom PLC control
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    Options
    I wonder if a customer were to come here and read about the high praise the folks at heatinghelp.com have sent your way in the past would help them pick you to service/install their steam system.
  • GW
    Options
    > @PMJ said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I agree that the best chance a contractor has is - local reputation and word of mouth. Few will pay more based on an advertisement or video ...not that they hurt anything. But when someone you actually know who has a system like yours recommends a contractor you are more likely to consider a higher price.

Yes I agree, but it’s hard to think we know how everyone buys, right? Some people just don’t care (lowest price wins), some people buy based on reputation. Some people buy based on the confidence and education they received from the selling process. Some people thing we are all crooks lol

A bit of a side note- In Massachusetts we have a ductless mini split rebate called Mass CEC. I just learned yesterday they have a public database for all 11,000 rebate systems installed though their program. Anyone can search the data, any contractor in the state. I curiously took snap shots of my average selling costs versus my closest competitors. It’s was quite interesting. I was pleased with my findings

Anyway the video would hopefully enhance reputation. I chatted with a video guy last week. I’ll shoot some money at it and see how it goes
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Options
    > @SeanBeans said:
    > I wonder if a customer were to come here and read about the high praise the folks at heatinghelp.com have sent your way in the past would help them pick you to service/install their steam system.

Sean I would hope so but how many pros want to control the entire sales process? I’m just trying to ad to my toolbox
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com