Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help for complete amateur

Options
13»

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    The spec home builders in Seattle use installers that like to staple the tubing on to the side of the joists like that. With the climate there, it is not as much of a problem. I can't tell by the picture, but I assume there is another tube stapled on the back of each joist, which is a weird spacing, or, the tube is 16" on center.
    I don't know how anyone in Alaska can run heat with propane with the cost of it here. It was over $6 here for a bit. I am surprised they did not go with fuel oil. But, they might have natural gas in the future and are looking ahead.
    One thought I have is that it might be a good idea to get a thermal camera and take a good look at the house and see if it really is insulated right. Makes me wonder that when the insulators missed two parts of the house, they might have missed even more, or just did not do it right.
    I would contact Rocky's Heating in Fairbanks if you can not get this resolved.
    Also, almost everyone here uses Gypcrete overpour for their heating, and concrete at grade. There are very few houses that use any kind of staple up system here, but there are a few.
    Another thought. Did anyone adjust the boiler after it was put online? Somehow, I doubt it. That could be a major reason for the high fuel bills also.
    Rick
    GordyHelpInAKZman
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 395
    Options
    Sounds like they made up in boiler capacity what they messed up in the distribution system.
  • HelpInAK
    HelpInAK Member Posts: 41
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @rick in Alaska when you say “adjust the boiler” what exactly does that mean? And yes I would bet that no one did. I am going to ask the builder to get the contractor out and at least complete the outdoor sensor install, I can ask them to take a look at the settings when that happens. And yes I was told the house was outfitted for propane in preparation for future natural gas line. If I knew then what I know now I would absolutely have gone with an older house on fuel oil.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Adjusting the boiler simply means checking the gas supply pressure and the air/fuel ratio and the draught, and adjusting them as needed to get the best combustion. It can't be done correctly without the necessary instruments to measure draught, pressure, oxygen, carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide in the stack gas. It can make an astonishing difference in the amount of gas you burn relative to the heat output! Depending on how far off the factory adjustments were, it could cut the gas use by a third, easily.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    HelpInAK