Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help on Improving Steam System Performance

13»

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    It’s like pictures from a crime scene...
    KC_Jones
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Please don't scrap the radiators, try to donate or sell them so they get reused.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • lwolf
    lwolf Member Posts: 36
    @BobC those rads were in poor shape and leaking. The pile has 5 rads, 3 of which are the inset type.

We kept another 8 in our basement which we’ll try and sell/donate if no takers.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Glad to hear your giving the good rads a chance at anothere life.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    Those are very sad photos and I'm not even the sentimental type.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    Some of those radiators will convert to water if you'd like to keep some of the old look and feel of the place. You can do both radiant and radiators if you'd like. Having a radiator by the door is nice in the winter for mittens boots etc. A radiator in the bath is nice as a towel warmer. Radiators on the second floor are easier than installing radiant. That is if you have a second floor. I didn't actually read this whole thread. If there are still raisers to the second floor they will often accommodate supply and return pex piping for radiators. You now have a ton of options.
    Good luck
    M
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • lwolf
    lwolf Member Posts: 36
    Update on the heating overall; new aquabalance with 4 zones (in progress install). We’re still debating rad types but we’re almost there.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Being going hydronic take a look at buderus panel rads. There wall mounted and always seem to blend right in also as a plus you can size them for low temp ,I have them in my own at design of 10 with supply water temp of about 130 making the most out of a condensing boiler but as I see in your pic ur doing 4 zones panel rads can easily have thermostat raditor valves making each rad it own zone and use 1 pump for the whole shebang saving energy .personally I would have used a smaller size boiler more matched to your heat lose thus possibably eliminating any possible short cycling on the shoulder season where issues usually when it happens even sometimes on properly sized mod cons If all is done correctly you should look forward to low gas consumption peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating