Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

B&G Circulating Pump

jdenneyjdenney Member Posts: 3
edited December 2018 in Radiant Heating
My circulating pump started making a loud vibrating noise around 3am. I have discovered it dripping from the Bearing assembly and realize that it will need to be replaced. Is there a temporary fix that I can do so that we can have heat until the part comes in? The earliest that I can get a part in will be December 28th and with 4 children and below 40° weather on the Upper Cumberland Pleateau in Tennessee we need to keep the house heated. Any and all help is much appreciated.

Comments

  • HVACNUTHVACNUT Member Posts: 1,729
    I see a valve below the circulator, is there also one above?
    Cancel the bearing assembly, go down to the local big box and pick up a Taco 007 F5 without the IFC (internal flow check).
    New nuts and bolts.
    Taco and others offer flanges, nuts and bolts sets, or a flange with an isolation valve for the inlet side if none is there now.
    Is there a purge station above the circ?
    As if you've got nothing better to do a few days before Christmas.
    Gaskets come with the circ.

    Can you post a pic from farther back?
    If there is currently no valve above the circulator and no way to isolate the boiler from the loop, the circ can still be replaced without dropping the whole system, as you would need to do of you were to replace the B.A.

    Step up to a wet rotor circ.
    Replace the B.A. and next week the coupling breaks. After that, the motor takes a dump. Not worth it.
  • JohnNYJohnNY Member Posts: 2,128
    HVACNUT said:

    pick up a Taco 007 F5 without the IFC (internal flow check).

    Just out of curiosity, why specify "without the IFC"? I

    For installations, troubleshooting, and private consulting services, find John "JohnNY" Cataneo here at :
    "72°F, LLC"
    Or email John at [email protected]
    John is a professional Master Plumber, licensed by The Department of Buildings of The City of New York, and works extensively in NYC while consulting for clients in and out of state.
  • JellisJellis Member Posts: 37
    If you buy a pump with an IFC and you already have a check in the system you run the risk of not being able to overcome both checks and move water throughout the system. you may be only able to find the pumps with the IFC, in that case you can remove it with some pliars quite easily, just break it out.
  • HVACNUTHVACNUT Member Posts: 1,729
    > @JohnNY said:
    > pick up a Taco 007 F5 without the IFC (internal flow check).
    >
    >
    >
    > Just out of curiosity, why specify "without the IFC"? I

    Looks to be an older system, circ on the return. A sure bet theres a flo valve on the supply.
    Probably has a steel expansion tank too.
  • HVACNUTHVACNUT Member Posts: 1,729
    edited December 2018
    > @Jellis said:
    >
    in that case you can remove it with some pliars quite easily, just break it out.

    I like to pop em out with a flat head and see how much hang time I can get. Like popping beer caps with a Bic.
    Yes I'm 51 and still act like I'm 15.
  • JohnNYJohnNY Member Posts: 2,128
    I like a check valve in my pump. I think the fact that water can flow passively in either direction through a pump is somewhat inherently problematic as it is. But your point, @HVACNUT, is well taken.
    Also, the B&G 100 curve most closely compares to Taco's 0010 if I'm not mistaken. But I guess you'd be far less likely to find that model in a big box store.
    For installations, troubleshooting, and private consulting services, find John "JohnNY" Cataneo here at :
    "72°F, LLC"
    Or email John at [email protected]
    John is a professional Master Plumber, licensed by The Department of Buildings of The City of New York, and works extensively in NYC while consulting for clients in and out of state.
  • jdenneyjdenney Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2018
    > @HVACNUT said:
    > I see a valve below the circulator, is there also one above?
    > Cancel the bearing assembly, go down to the local big box and pick up a Taco 007 F5 without the IFC (internal flow check).
    > New nuts and bolts.
    > Taco and others offer flanges, nuts and bolts sets, or a flange with an isolation valve for the inlet side if none is there now.
    > Is there a purge station above the circ?
    > As if you've got nothing better to do a few days before Christmas.
    > Gaskets come with the circ.
    >
    > Can you post a pic from farther back?
    > If there is currently no valve above the circulator and no way to isolate the boiler from the loop, the circ can still be replaced without dropping the whole system, as you would need to do of you were to replace the B.A.
    >
    > Step up to a wet rotor circ.
    > Replace the B.A. and next week the coupling breaks. After that, the motor takes a dump. Not worth it.
    >
    >

    I have no idea what you said. Here are some pictures from father back. This is an older system and getting anything without an IFC sounds like a bad idea.
  • ZmanZman Member Posts: 4,571
    Your present circ does not have an IFC. If you have verified that there is no flow check in the loop, there is no harm in installing one.
    It looks like you have a copper fin style boiler which is very sensitive to low flow conditions. I agree with JohnnyNY that a 010 would be a better choice. A local supply house should have a 010 or other comparable product in stock.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • jdenneyjdenney Member Posts: 3
    Turns out that the coupler in the bearing assembly is broken. I took the bearing assembly apart and everything is in working order. I will order the new coupler if my local supply store doesn't have one. Thanks guys for the recommendations.
  • JUGHNEJUGHNE Member Posts: 5,124
    If you are dripping water out of the bearing/seal assembly the coupling will only buy you some time.
    If after using it and water is dripping, I would plan on the larger replacement pump. IMO
  • HVACNUTHVACNUT Member Posts: 1,729
    > @jdenney said:
    > Turns out that the coupler in the bearing assembly is broken. I took the bearing assembly apart and everything is in working order. I will order the new coupler if my local supply store doesn't have one. Thanks guys for the recommendations.

    I don't understand.
    You could've been done by now.
    Your replacing the coupling.
    The new B.A. wont arrive until the 28th so you have to open up again.
    Why no wet rotor pump?

    The O-ring held after you pulled the assembly? They usually swell up.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!