Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat for boiler to run for 20-30 minutes then turn off?

Was wondering if there exists a thermostat that when activated turns on boiler for 20-30 minutes then turns off. And possibly after X amount of hours do the same thing over?

any help is much appreciated,
Thomas

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,169
    Most thermostats, if not all, are... thermostats. That is, they respond to the temperature where their sensor is located.

They are not timers, nor are they meant to be.

In answer to your question, you seem to be looking for a timer not a thermostat, and there are any number of timers of varying capacity and with varying features.

But -- what is it you are trying to accomplish with set on and off running times?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    SuperJ
  • willnj
    willnj Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2018
    I have a ecobee thermostat which you can set the minimum run time for the system (this most likely fulfill your first requirement) and the temperature differential to kick off again.

For the second requirement, you will need to have it integrated with a home automation hub where you can actually have it lower the temperature after it ran for X minutes/hours. This will stop it and then raise the temperature at the desired time.

But this really complicates the system though. I would prefer just having it run the minimum X minutes you want and have the thermostat control the next run time based on temp differential.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776

Was wondering if there exists a thermostat that when activated turns on boiler for 20-30 minutes then turns off. And possibly after X amount of hours do the same thing over?

any help is much appreciated,
    Thomas

Why

The thermostats job is to signal that heat is requested.............
    the boilers controls now take over providing hot water at its set point not the building envelopes requirements. As it get colder outside the boiler will run longer.

Is this timer going to override the safety controls?
  • bananapeal
    bananapeal Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2018
    this is only a guess, but are you trying to solve short cycle? that is my problem also. i posted in the oil heating section.

you must remember there is also an aquastat controller on the boiler itself that determines run-time of that equipment. so thermostat might stay on but the cycles you hear are because aquastat designers don't understand (or pity) the price we pay for oil! -- so adjusting this aquastat (or control board on boiler) might be the solution.