Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this new or used?

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
Is this spark plug new or used?
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Is this new or used? 11 votes

New
27%
GordySteve Thompson (Taco)njtommy 3 votes
Used
72%
Charlie from wmassZmanSolid_Fuel_ManLeon82SuperJ1Matthiaskelchmethicalpaul 8 votes

Comments

• ChrisJ
    Options
    Sorry, here's the picture.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    used our corroded from lying around?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ChrisJrick in Alaska
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    > @hot rod_7 said:
    > used our corroded from lying around?

You gotta vote for one or the other :)
  • aceboiler
    aceboiler Member Posts: 14
    Options
    If it goes to a Hydropulse, new. A vehicle, used. :)
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Used and running lean as heck
    1Matthias
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    > @aceboiler said:
    > If it goes to a Hydropulse, new. A vehicle, used. :)

Its for an engine.
  • 1Matthias
    1Matthias Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Used

Used and running lean as heck

Yep. Running that lean, it's a miracle a piston hasn't melted or a rod come out the side of the block...
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    New
    NOS
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    The application for the plug is a Briggs and Stratton Vanguard vtwin. Carburetted.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Used
    Used for short time. The ground electrode is very light indicating very lean conditions and hot running (air cooled). A proper color for a typical carbed small engine is a light chocolate brown.

Modern computer managed engines with a host of sensors whose plugs may read a very light brown as that are more on the lean edge of stoichrometric conditions.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Gordy
    Options
    New
    I don’t see a full turn of color on the base ring. As a matter of fact I see a spot of rust.

If used, and correct plug. That plug color would be indicative of an alcohol fueled engine, and by color would be burning good. Perhaps NG?
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    I think @Gordy knew what engine this was from when I mentioned the type. Cheater! :)

It is used, but certainly wasn't running lean.
    It may be hard to see in the picture but there is absolutely no color on the white insulator.

This is from a 2004 Briggs and Stratton 18HP Vanguard Vtwin setup from the factory for LPG and Natural gas.

It's amazing how much cleaner these fuels burn than gasoline, even with a very simple carburetor.
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Used
    It looks like there is carbon buildup on the underside of the ground electrode. And some higher temp combustion deposits on top.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    > @SuperJ said:
    > It looks like there is carbon buildup on the underside of the ground electrode. And some higher temp combustion deposits on top.
  • Gordy
    edited December 2018
    Options
    New
    Not cheating really. You won’t find a lean burning plug in that good of shape with typical gasoline 4 stroke, or two stroke engines.

A well tuned alcohol fueled engine using the right plug will burn that clean. Then the light bulb went off.

It is hard to see in the picture exactly how it’s burning. My first thought was a new old stock off the shelf.
  • Gordy
    Options
  • Gordy
    Options
  • Gordy
    Options
    New
    Gasoline 4 stroke chart.
  • Gordy
    Options
    New
    I’ll be darned if I can find a plug pic burning NG, or LP.