Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with Hot Water garage heater controls.

Options
Hello all. My wife closed on our 1st home yesterday and I need some help understanding how to use/control the heat system in the garage. It appears to be a square radiant system fed from the gas fired boiler for the hot water baseboard for the house. There is a fan attached behind the unit and a aquastat in line of one of the water pipes wired to a single pole on/off switch. The aqua stat has a dial with what I am assuming is water temp selections? Can someone help me understand the proper way to set and use this to heat the garage periodically? I do not plan to keep this on constantly. Thanks!!!

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Some pictures would help.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    The Aquastat should bring on the fan once the water gets hot. There should be a T-Stat somewhere to bring on the circulater.

If this garage gets below freezing i hope theres glycol in the loop!
    kcopp
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Do you know if there is a thermostat in the garage and a zone valve or pump in the house to send water to this unit heater? Typically the aquastat would exist as well as a thermostat, so the thermostat calls for heat and either runs a pump or opens a zone valve, then the aquastat holds the fan from running until the hot water has reached the unit to avoid blowing through a cold coil
  • Dmelia1
    Dmelia1 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!! The garage has a finished room overtop that we keep set at 65. I am about 99% positive this system is tied into that loop. All of the exposed pipes in the garage are wrapped with pipe insulation. It was -10 here this morning where I live but noticeably warmer in the garage with the fan off so I think just the radiant heat from the pipes is adding some warmth as the loop circulates to heat the bonus room overtop.