Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Help with Hot Water garage heater controls.

Dmelia1Dmelia1 Posts: 8Member
Hello all. My wife closed on our 1st home yesterday and I need some help understanding how to use/control the heat system in the garage. It appears to be a square radiant system fed from the gas fired boiler for the hot water baseboard for the house. There is a fan attached behind the unit and a aquastat in line of one of the water pipes wired to a single pole on/off switch. The aqua stat has a dial with what I am assuming is water temp selections? Can someone help me understand the proper way to set and use this to heat the garage periodically? I do not plan to keep this on constantly. Thanks!!!

Comments

• ZmanZman Posts: 4,881Member
    Some pictures would help.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • pecmsgpecmsg Posts: 756Member
    The Aquastat should bring on the fan once the water gets hot. There should be a T-Stat somewhere to bring on the circulater.

If this garage gets below freezing i hope theres glycol in the loop!
  • GroundUpGroundUp Posts: 514Member
    Do you know if there is a thermostat in the garage and a zone valve or pump in the house to send water to this unit heater? Typically the aquastat would exist as well as a thermostat, so the thermostat calls for heat and either runs a pump or opens a zone valve, then the aquastat holds the fan from running until the hot water has reached the unit to avoid blowing through a cold coil
  • Dmelia1Dmelia1 Posts: 8Member
    Thanks for all the help!! The garage has a finished room overtop that we keep set at 65. I am about 99% positive this system is tied into that loop. All of the exposed pipes in the garage are wrapped with pipe insulation. It was -10 here this morning where I live but noticeably warmer in the garage with the fan off so I think just the radiant heat from the pipes is adding some warmth as the loop circulates to heat the bonus room overtop.