Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Theoretical Question

Options
rhw
rhw Member Posts: 49
I do not want to replace my old steam boiler yet. I WAS thinking of replacing the near boiler piping on the old system. When I do get a new boiler will the near boiler piping need to be overhauled again to accommodate the new system? Will it be an additional expense when replacement becomes necessary?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Well, the better option would be to have a top-notch steam expert come over and evaluate the entire system and give you recommendations.
    If re-doing the near boiler piping will make your system run better, quieter, more efficient, and it appears you have a lot of life left in your boiler, then re-do the piping. Most likely not much can be re-used, but it will be set up with unions, and all the other bad stuff fixed, to make it easier for the new install.
    Maybe checking the pitch on your pipes and radiators, and fixing/adding/replacing vents is all you need.
    You didn't say what, if any problems you are having.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• rhw
    rhw Member Posts: 49
    Options
    As I stated in the title this is more of a theoretical question. I guess I should state that if a new boiler will be needed in about 3- 5 years can the construction (probably wrong terminology) of near boiler piping today be done to accommodate that transition in 5 years without much additional expense
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    What are the chances the piping is going to match up perfectly.................
    Slim to none!

Start getting the #'s you need........
    Proper sizing
    A contractor that knows S T E A M!
    $

A date that the contractor is available for a day or two and you can be without heat!
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Post some pictures of your present boiler piping, and more advice will follow.
    The invention of the drop header has made the piping in of a new boiler much easier.—NBC
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    I think if you figure out which boiler you will replace it with, a few small tweaks and depending on the piping now, it might share a lot of the piping. It just depends.

Also, you boiler might last longer than you think. I depends. Mine is 35 years old and looks a little rough, but no leaks, runs smooth. Probably need a good HE cleaning and a full combustion analysis done.