Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New to the forum

Just wanted to say hi. New to the forum. Have been a boiler apprentice for about a year and a half now, finishing up my schooling buy next summer. Right now I work at dupage county in Illinois we have 3 high temp hot water boilers 2 at which run at 45000000 btu and one at 35000000 btu @ 370 degrees and 250psig, 2 steam gens and 4 one ton chillers.

Found this forum and thought it would be good to join for learning and getting some helpful advice from time to time.

Comments

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,888
    Welcome. There are some smart folks in here!
    triggerhappy24
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Post some pictures of those monster boilers! That's some super heated water! Wow!
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    delta TSeanBeanstriggerhappy24Canucker
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    You have come to the right place to expand your knowledge.

Welcome!
    triggerhappy24
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Welcome!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    triggerhappy24
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Welcome aboard!!

We Have a hospital near here that uses HTHW something like 400 deg and 425 psi.

Scary to me but they have used that plant since 1970
    triggerhappy24
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Nice Plant!
    @triggerhappy24 you certainly have the opportunity to have a great learning experience working there.

Good luck
    triggerhappy24
  • triggerhappy24
    triggerhappy24 Member Posts: 42
    @ebebratt-ed yes!! It is a nice building, but out of date facility. We have 15 different buildings on campus. Each building has different equipment in it. We literally have just about every type of device out there. (I'm sure we dont but we do have a lot) it is definitely a learning experience every day,so it never is a dull moment. It is nice to actually do the field that I'm going to school for seeing as most of the people that I go to school with work at small hotels and have never seen a boiler. I usually ask a lot of question and try to watch and listen to everyone there.
    rick in Alaska
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    What is all that energy used for? Wow!
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    triggerhappy24
  • triggerhappy24
    @Solid_Fuel_Man well most of it goes to all the buildings heat exchangers for perimeter heat in all the buildings and the main units, then we have 2 10000 gallon steam gens that work the laundry in the assisted living facility along with there kitchens. As my boss has told me, they where designed back when most of the units where energy hogs. But even with some of the change we have had in the years we still have to run one big one in the winter, then one big one and the small one below 20 degrees. They have a good roar when it's cold so something is using the energy. We also have about 2 1/2 +miles of pipe to the buildings. I'm not too sure how it all gets consumed but it does make me wonder some time where all that energy goes too. Some times it hurts my head trying to figure it all out.
  • triggerhappy24
    Thought this was the best place to post this, even thought it is an older post. Finished my schooling and got my certificate. Took the Chicago test in July and passed with flying colors. 2 days ago I received my Chicago license in the mail. So now I'm offical!! Never had so much stress released after seeing I passed the test!! Now to push on for the associates degree :'(
    Solid_Fuel_ManethicalpaulErin Holohan HaskellCanucker
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Congrats @triggerhappy24
    triggerhappy24
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    Welcome! I’ve worked on a decent amount of high temp hot water boilers at different factories. Last one made pasta!
    Never stop learning.
    triggerhappy24
  • triggerhappy24
    Pasta? Who'd have thunk. They are very rear beasts but I like them?