Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Polaris hot water heater not bringing water up to temperature

Zad
Zad Member Posts: 19
I've got a 4 year old 130,000 btu 50 gallon Polaris hot water heater. A few weeks ago the ignitor went out and I replaced it and it worked fine since. Now, the ignition cycle starts, the heater comes on and heats for 45 seconds and then the heater cuts out. I've got the temperature set at 50 degrees C and the water is coming out at 31 C. Intake and exhaust is clear and the intake filter is clean. Gas stove is working fine and a gas tech is coming today to check gas pressure to house which I suspect will test fine. What would you suggest, short of calling a HVAC tech, I look for next? Thanks.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    45 seconds? Most likely one of the safeties on the unit isn't working properly or has failed -- or is sensing a real failure. Rollout switch, flame sensor... an overtempt switch other than the aquastat. Hard to say without knowing what's on there.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Zad
    edited November 2018
    Gas Co came and supply is fine. Now, a few hours after the original post, the ignitor light is coming on for 3 seconds and going off, no hot water heat now. Ignitor has good continuity. Perhaps time to call for help.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    Polaris had a really good flow chart trouble shooting guide, probably still on their website, if you don't have the original installation manual. But you will need a meter and experience using it to determine which component is causing the fail.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    JWIW465
  • Zad
    Thanks hot rod, I found the flow chart, based on what it sais I need a new ignition module.
  • Zad
    I live in Canada and the Polaris support up here is pretty mediocre. I finally got in touch with Polaris USA and not only are they open weekends but their technicians are extremely well informed, excellent service and it is the ignition control module.
  • Zad
    I replaced the ignition control module which was defective, however the appliance still did not run properly with the ignition cycle going through to firing, running for 3-10 seconds then cutting out. Removing either the exhaust or intake air pipes made the unit run properly so I removed the air filter and cleaned with water and this was the final cure. Previously I had cleaned it off with backflow air but the dirt had packed the filter fibers such that not enough air could get through and the appliance was cutting out. I will now wash or replace the air filter annually.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    Good catch, I remember now that Polaris shipped with intake air filters.

Probably save a lot of expensive mod con repairs, having an intake air filter. The mod con may even tell you when the filter is plugged and intake air blocked alert.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    JWIW465