Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Vent Help

Options
JohnCT
JohnCT Member Posts: 35
The radiator in my upstairs bedroom is the farthest from the boiler and has a Gorton #6 on it. The riser is a bare pipe through the living room below. It hisses for a long time (making it hard to sleep) when it comes off the small setback in the morning. I’ve got 2 G2s and 2 Big Mouths on 90’ of 2” main, so I think the main is vented OK. I’m wondering if the excessive hissing is from the volume of air in the long riser and I should replace the #6 with a C or D. Any thoughts on that? Are there quieter vents I should be looking at?

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    If the main venting is adequate, and all of them are working, , , ,

what's the boiler pressure set to ?
    and what do you see on the gage when running?
    post a picture showing both together
    known to beat dead horses
  • JohnCT
    Options
    Pressure is set to .5 with a diff of 1. The gauge is a 0-30, so stays pegged.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    if you float a tissue over that vent,
    does it get moist / wet?
    Is boiler piping correct and you have good dry steam?
    known to beat dead horses
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Unless you have an accurate low pressure gauge, you will never know what your pressure is, even though the pressuretrol is set
    properly low, as they are so inaccurate.
    I don't know how small your setback is, but it may also contribute to the noise problem, along with higher than needed pressure.
    Try keeping the thermostat at a constant lower temp-66 degrees, 24/7, and see how the system behaves.--NBC
  • JohnCT
    Options
    Nicholas: any reason I can’t replace the existing guage with a 0-3 instead of adding a second one? I read previously a 0-30 is code, but I promise not to report myself to the authorities. Is there a brand you’d recommend?
    JohnNYethicalpaul
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    JohnCT said:

Nicholas: any reason I can’t replace the existing guage with a 0-3 instead of adding a second one? I read previously a 0-30 is code, but I promise not to report myself to the authorities. Is there a brand you’d recommend?

The "authorities" include your insurance company. No code required gauge? Your insurance company may or may not pay off on a claim. More likely walk away from it. It's your risk...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    If the insurance company can read the gauge after the roaring inferno that we all know was not caused by the gauge, then more power to them!

I bought this one and it’s good. Kodiak Controls KC25-3# Low Pressure Gauge 3 PSI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9ZWLZG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_dfw8Bb4HMAT83
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    JohnCT