Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard Heat will not turn on if Radiant Heat is on

Options
I currently have a boiler that was a steam boiler converted to a gas gun. The system is running steam, hot water base board and radiant heat. We converted to gas and added the radiant heat 2 years ago and last year the system worked most of the time. This year when we try and turn on the 2 baseboard zones they click but they do not turn produce any heat if the radiant heat is on. If we turn off the radiant heat then the baseboard works. The steam is working either way. I have had a few people look at it and they both said to get a second boiler for the baseboard and radiant heat. I just feel that there must be another issue if they will turn on independently when the other one is off. It isn't an issue where it isn't producing enough heat it is not producing any if the radiant heat is on.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Is the radiant in slab? Can you post pictures of the boiler piping?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,381
    Options
    What clicks? This sounds much more like a control or wiring problem, if it worked before and doesn't work now and you changed no pipes.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,416
    Options
    if you Google add a loop you may find the correct way to do this.
  • michemez
    michemez Member Posts: 5
    Options
    The is over the basement and crawl space. There was a mud job but no slab.

I was incorrect - it does not click when we turn the thermostat up and the radiant heat it on, it doesn't do anything.

I will post a picture later today.

Thank you
  • michemez
    Options

• michemez
    Options

• Jamie Hall
    Options
    Plumber's nightmare. However, I don't think the plumbing has much to do with it. You need to trace out all your control and pump and valve wiring, and see what does what. Then you need to work through the system controls very systematically and figure out what things are supposed to do -- and what they are doing. I'm almost 100% sure this is a control/wiring problem.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • michemez
    Options
    Jamie - thank you for replying. All the Plumbers look at it and shake their head. I am struggling to find someone who knows steam heat well and can help with the issue. I would prefer to not have to purchase another boiler.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    You don't need another boiler. What you do need is a tech. with some imagination, a multimeter, and the brains to use both of them. This is not, repeat NOT, a plumbing or boiler problem.
    Br. Jamie, osb