Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Malfunctioning water heater prompts active shooter scare at North Carolina high school

CLamb
CLamb Member Posts: 312
"A malfunctioning water heater on the roof of a North Carolina high school led to a false active shooter report on Friday morning."https://theblaze.com/news/2018/11/09/malfunctioning-water-heater-prompts-active-shooter-scare-at-north-carolina-high-school

It didn't sound like gunshot to me but the recording may very well sound different than the live sound.

Comments

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 2,030
    Typical attention thirsty doofus. "Sounded like an AR-15 going off". I wasn't aware that an AR-15 made a different sound than any other 5.56 caliber weapon.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,105
    GroundUp said:

Typical attention thirsty doofus. "Sounded like an AR-15 going off". I wasn't aware that an AR-15 made a different sound than any other 5.56 caliber weapon.

Nor, for that matter, a .223. I used to be able to tell a 5.56 Nato from a 7.62 Russki -- heard enough of them -- but... to the average … can't think of a word... "bang" = "gun" = "AR-15" = shock, panic and horror.

DOL, y'all.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    GroundUp
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,747
    Any loud abrupt sound sounds like a gunshot to some people. In a way I don't really blame them—how do you, the school administrator, explain to the news that "you just knew it wasn't gunfire"?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,105
    ratio said:

Any loud abrupt sound sounds like a gunshot to some people. In a way I don't really blame them—how do you, the school administrator, explain to the news that "you just knew it wasn't gunfire"?

Oh mind you I don't and can't blame the administration for being cautious. Not at all. I might well have ducked for cover myself. It is the resulting media and activist circus which is bothersome.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,747
    @Jamie Hall, I get my current events from HeatingHelp.com, so I am blissfully unaware of any media & activist circus. :smiley:
    delta T
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 2,030
    Gunshot, sure. Makes sense. But what I found ridiculous was him calling the weapon out that he thought made the sound. Just so happened to be this AR-15 that the media has been making out to be such an awful weapon of mass destruction. A guy who says things like that has likely never even heard a live round fired