Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this PRV correct?

Options
brandonf
brandonf Member Posts: 205
I remember reading somewhere about the positioning of pressure relief valves but I can't find the literature.
Homeowner, Entrepreneur, Mechanic, Electrician,

"The toes you step on today are connected to the butt you'll have to kiss tomorrow". ---Vincent "Buddy" Cianci

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    It should be mounted vertically with the lever on top.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    delta T
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    No.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • brandonf
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Wow. It was mounted like that for years. It went bad last year and my plumber replaced it. You would think that he would've installed it correctly since he was already in there.... Yeah he's never touching this boiler again. 🤔

"The toes you step on today are connected to the butt you'll have to kiss tomorrow". ---Vincent "Buddy" Cianci
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Very few plumbers realize that a boiler relief can't be done like a TP relief on a water heater.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,862
    Options
    brandonf said:

Wow. It was mounted like that for years. It went bad last year and my plumber replaced it. You would think that he would've installed it correctly since he was already in there.... Yeah he's never touching this boiler again. 🤔

and the instructions are still in the Box!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Go easy. They were commonly installed with the stem horizontal years ago. The stem vertical is a fairly recent 10-15 year thing. It's ASME CODE now
    delta T
  • brandonf
    Options
    > @EBEBRATT-Ed said:
    > Go easy. They were commonly installed with the stem horizontal years ago. The stem vertical is a fairly recent 10-15 year thing. It's ASME CODE now

Interesting....

• delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    The vertical requirement is definitely new, I had a 13 building condo association that had 25 boilers for space heating (fin tube baseboard). They were installed in the early 70's. They have gotten inspected by the state every two years since they were installed. In 2008 the boiler inspector said that all the relief valves had to be changed so that they were vertical. I am very glad that I didn't have to change 25 relief valves and their piping on my nickle! Don't think he really screwed up, just didn't keep up the change in regs. I have never seen anyone called on it in a residential setting, only commercial btw....doesn't mean it isn't still the rule but still.....