Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Panel radiators in niches in the walls??

bruce_21
bruce_21 Member Posts: 241
To get a sleek wall my customer wants to put the panel radiators in niches in the double studded walls and cover them with a screen of some sort. I'm sure this will reduce the heat output, but don't know any foolproof way to calculate this. I think there must be good airflow opening at the top and bottom and the niches need to be at least 6" above and below the rads. Does anyone have experience trying this? I called Buderus tech support but they were no help ("people should follow our install instructions and hang them on the wall"). Thanks in advance for any advise or comments!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,105
    It will reduce the heat output -- how much depends on how much air circulation you can keep and induce around them. Somewhere there is an article on convectors and enclosures which might help -- someone else may have the reference.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,796
    Ahhh they want you to make the guess, and if your guess isn’t correct you can come fix it when and if it doesn’t work well? Yeah right! How about triple the rad size and jack the dough some? That should do it. And install a boiler that will go to 200f if things really get funcky
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,791
    Quite a bit of the heat output from steel panel rads is radiation, you don't want anything in front of them. Also some convection transfer, so air flow in the bottom out the top. and conduction transfer if you sit on them.

If they want a screened over heat emitter just use a stack of fin tube :) it will be a lot cheaper.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Canucker
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I have the kind thats sticks out of the wall about a inch. The inside is curved so air flows out the front. When the kids were little they would all sit with their backs against it and eat their pop tarts before school. Can't get those days back.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,072
    Somewher there is a % loss listed for steam radiators with and without enclosures.

I know this is hot water but it would probably be close
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I would talk them into radiant walls.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Canuckerdelta T