Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler Replacement Project

Options
AlanK
AlanK Member Posts: 3
I'm getting estimates on helping my parents replace their leaking peerless (circa 1996) steam boiler in NJ. I have had a local "licensed" plumber install a steam boiler years ago and got burned big time with failing plumbing and electrical inspections and plumber not answering any of my calls (which started spraying water from the radiators and it turned out to be that the header? was not installed at a proper height and boiling water was blocking the return?. So I had to have another plumber fix it and charge ton of money in the process). So - I'm trying to thread carefully this time around.

First off - my parents, senior citizens have limited income and I will be helping them with the cost. Is there a reliable brand out there that doesn't have all the bells and whistles but cost-effective? What are some of the questions I should be asking to people coming in to at least understand the job will done correctly this time around.

After getting burned with a local plumber, I tried to get estimates from well known companies and getting quotes around 6.5K(copper piping) to 10K(PSEG) dollars replacing a 96K BTU unit. Is this pricing what I should be expecting? Can I purchase the unit and get a it installed perhaps? (Noone offered me this option).

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    As it seems you may be realizing already it's all about the installer, don't get too hung up on brand.

As far as bells and whistles that's mainly in the piping. There is minimum spec from the manufacturer and some will go beyond that. The boilers are typically equipped the same as it's mainly just the safety controls.

Also for sizing don't assume it was sized correctly before, all radiators must be measured to properly size a steam boiler, anyone that isn't doing this is doing it wrong by default.

Yes a proper installation will be expensive and I would not try and buy a boiler and find someone to install it, you will most likely get the bottom of the barrel as no quality contractor is going to do that.

If I was in NJ there are only 2 people I would call, I will tag them to draw attention to this thread.

@Dave0176 or @EzzyT
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    Those two are the guys to talk to. They will give you an honest quote and a quality job. It's worth remembering that you get what you pay for.

Second -- the public utility is not going to be what you want.

Third -- the person who quoted steam in copper either hasn't a clue or is a crook. Avoid him.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    1Matthias
  • ImYoungxD
    ImYoungxD Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Have you checked the contractors list on this site? They are probably a lot better than the people you called.

https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    @AlanK you can private message me or you can contact me at
    201-887-8856 or Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • AlanK
    AlanK Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - I shall reach out to the professionals here.