Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Loud boiler pump in my apartment building

Options
Snyta7
Snyta7 Member Posts: 5
I am dealing with property management, which is in turn dealing with ownership, on an issue with the boiler. I took a video in the laundry room (which is next to my unit). The sound you hear is maybe 30-40% that in my apartment. Weirdly, the sound is actually coming out of multiple walls, as if the pipes in the walls themselves are vibrating. So I am not just hearing something in the boiler room.

https://youtu.be/ri_9ONyEKAA

This was the property managers response: We found that there is an issue with the pump but it is not an issue that needs to be addressed right away. The pump its self is an expensive one and replacement is not cheap.

Does anyone have any advice on 1) what this is, or possibly 2) what I can do? I really like my place and all that needs to happen is for this sound to go away.... otherwise it is about 30% what it is in the video literally 24/7.

Thank you

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Not much you can do. Hard to say without looking at the pump what the problem is. Probably the pump is piped without flexible connections, and the sound is being transmitted through the pipes.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Snyta7
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    It sounds like metal on metal-perhaps a bearing starting to fail. Without an operational pump, the system won’t provide heat, and more tenants than just you will be calling them-probably during a cold spell when all the pros are busy for days on end.
    Ask them why they wouldn’t fix it now?—NBC
    Snyta7
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    That's what it sounds like when some pumps are "dead-heading" or pushing against closed valves.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Snyta7
  • Snyta7
    Options
    Thanks all.

All I heard from the property management is that "it is not something that needs to be addressed right away. It is an expensive pump and not cheap." But the sound is ridiculous and 24/7!

I hope the building will replace it. Apparently the HVAC Vendor they brought in did not think it impacted the operation of the pump?
  • Snyta7
    Options
    I talked to the building. They said it is "motor drag" and the owner still needs to make a decision, but that the repair is expensive and the pump works fine. I think it is totally unreasonable especially since it is vibrating pipes in every room in my apartment.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,012
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Sounds like this is not a priority for them. At this point, call a lawyer. Sometimes all it takes is a letter.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Snyta7
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Do you have access to the pump? Maybe it needs some helping along >:)
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Snyta7delta T
  • Snyta7
    Options
    We will see. First I will just try to at least show how serious I am, how much I want to stay in the building, and at least have a building inspector come by.
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Could you post a picture of this pump?

Could be a coupling alignment or bearing issue.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • Snyta7
    Options
    It is behind a locked door. The door does not seem locked well but I am not looking to find a way through it. They did send an HVAC Vendor out but all I know from that are "motor drag" and "expensive."

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    If it is really an "expensive" motor/pump they can often be repaired.
    But is a small one then not so expensive and just replace it.
    Not much of a decision to make, unless he is checking out an up grade to perhaps an ECM type.