Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect with an HTP UFT boiler

GroundUp
GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
Anyone partner these two? Not specific to the HTP indirect necessarily, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to set the DHW temp separately from the CH output temp. I'll be honest, this will be my first indirect with these boilers so I may very well be missing something obvious. At the present time I don't physically have an indirect in place, but do have a UFT-80W in place heating a 2500 sq ft slab. The second zone circ was added for future DHW zone at original install. ODR sensor is giving me 104 degree CH water, so where can I change that to 140 output for the indirect? I've read the manual both ways 15 times and have only managed to muster a headache. Do the SuperStor tanks signal the boiler what temp to run?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Don't do the indirect as a heating zone.
    Pipe it like the manual

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Rich_49
  • GroundUp
    @Zman I did. That is a zone
  • Zman
    Wire the circulator to the DHW terminal in the boiler. Wire the tank sensor to the boiler. Configure as needed....
    Albert Einstein
  • GroundUp
    Uh huh, circ turns on and runs 104 degree water through the coil for 100 years trying to reach 140. It never comes. I'm asking how to change the DHW setpoint in the boiler, because the manual does not give that information nor can I figure it out by navigating the system on my own. There is no DHW anything within the settings that I can find
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    If it's a SuperStor indirect, it has a thermostat like an electric water heater. Just wire that back to the domestic low voltage terminals and the pump to the domestic high voltage terminals.

The control comes set to look for an aquastat, but can be programmed to use a tank sensor.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    GroundUp
  • Zman
    If you pipe it per the manual and set it up for domestic priority, the controls will do the rest
    Albert Einstein
  • GroundUp
    Let's say it's not a SS tank and only utilizes a mechanical aquastat. The rise/fall of the aquastat are only going to signal the pump when to run, right? "Domestic Priority" is nowhere to be found- so for a third time I will ask HOW do I find these domestic settings? There is nothing in the manual, nor can I find anything in the settings

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    edited October 2018
    I believe you will need an EXP relay that has an isolated end switch and a priority to go from the DHW zone to the boiler DHW contacts. Other wise the boiler will try to make hot water at too low a temp.
  • Zman
    edited October 2018
    I think you are over thinking this....

Wire the circ where it says DHW circ. You will need the other zone circ to be wired to CH circ so it will turn off with DHW call. Wire the sensor or aquastat to the DHW sensor terminal. I would suggest pulling whatever comes with the tank and using the HTP sensor in it's place.

Configure it using this section of the manual.

Albert Einstein
    GroundUp
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    IDK why your getting so worked up at folks who are trying to help you. Everything that you keep asking for IS in the manual.

Display parameter 39 is used to tell the boiler if you're using an aquastat or a sensor.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    edited October 2018
    GroundUp said:

Anyone partner these two? Not specific to the HTP indirect necessarily, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to set the DHW temp separately from the CH output temp.

In the current Install manual, page 55: item 25ST in the installer menu sets the boiler supply water temp sent to the indirect.

If you want to set the indirect DHW temp higher or lower than the factory default of 120F, that's item 21:dh in the installer menu.

GroundUp
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    FWIW- I have the UFT-80W and a SSU30 indirect using a sensor.

Early on I had a flow-check go bad and since my t-stats control the zone valves directly- they were still open on DHW calls which lead to ghost flow on DHW calls. My indirect was taking forever to heat up to 135F till I noticed the ghost flow condition and replaced the faulty flow-check valve.

Check your spaceheating loops during DHW calls (just put your hand on the supply pipes)... you should not feel increasing temps in them during a DHW call.
  • GroundUp
    Ironman said:

IDK why your getting so worked up at folks who are trying to help you. Everything that you keep asking for IS in the manual.

Display parameter 39 is used to tell the boiler if you're using an aquastat or a sensor.

Worked up? Nah. But I did have to ask the same question 3 times to get an answer that was as simple as "there is a way to change it in the manual". Now, it turns out that the manual I got with this particular unit is missing 14 pages somehow. I pulled another one from a new unit on my shelf and found what is posted above, so thanks all for helping me find that I was missing pages. I spent 2 hours this evening trying to navigate my way through the settings to get there and cannot, so I'm going to scrap the idea until I haven't been awake for 30 hours and I have a little bit of brain activity. I appreciate the help fellas
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    you can find a you tube video for most everything these days. Nice thing about them is you can stop, rewind and play again to help grasp the concept.

I searched HTP boiler control, here is a link to several dozen videos, not sure which model you have.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tube+HTP+boiler+control+program&page=1&utm_source=opensearch
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • GroundUp
    hot rod said:

you can find a you tube video for most everything these days. Nice thing about them is you can stop, rewind and play again to help grasp the concept.

I searched HTP boiler control, here is a link to several dozen videos, not sure which model you have.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tube+HTP+boiler+control+program&page=1&utm_source=opensearch

I had already done the same and there is nothing about the UFT control unfortunately. I will just call HTP when I'm standing in front of it next week, I don't have 20 hours to waste trying to figure it out on my own