Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New steam install. Does it look right?

Options
Be gentle, this is my first post. I just had a new boiler put in, and would like to know how the piping configuration looks. I specifically mentioned to the plumber about adding a main vent and a return vent and also pay attention to proper configuration of the Hartfard loop. According to the plumber the original install had the hartfard loop piping too low and contributed to the failure of a 8 year old Burham boiler. I did not have a main vent and return vent as pictured on my old system.
Unfortunatly this plumber has collected 99% of my money and does not seem motivated to finish the job, so I had to skim and drain the system myself to get the boiler to work properly and set the pressure from 5 psi back down to 1.5 psi. Any recommendation of any knowledgeable heating guy in Nassua county, NY who can overlook my whole system would also be appreciated.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Not good. Go to the "Find a Contractor" tab above and put your zip code in. There are some great Steam guys on here who are in the NY area. That vent on the top of your riser, from the Main is worthless. It will close as soon as steam hits it. and the one on the Hartford loop also serves no purpose. You want the vents at the end of the Mains, after the last Radiator or on the Dry Return before it drops down and becomes a Wet return. The goal is for those vents to remain open to push air out of the mains, which means they need to be installed after the last radiator run out. Also, the water supply should have been installed in the wet return below the Hartford loop and the Pressure relief valve should be vertical. The Header is barely a Header. Where is the Pressuretrol and the Low Water Cut-off? They are essential Safety controls. It all just needs to be redone. Sorry
    IronmanTinmandelta T
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    well, thats a strange looking hartford loop.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

1Matthias
  • dpok69
    dpok69 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you Scully, it looks like you are near by me in Franklin Square. I will give you guys a call.
    HVACNUTDanny Scullykcoppdelta T
  • dpok69
    Options
    All the controlls are facing the wall, which is another blunder by the plumber. The original boiler also had a similar header and was installed by "professionals" under contract with my then new home. This new plumber had me think he knew what he was doing and I put my trust in him. Thanks for the mini lesson on vents Fred. I never wanted to be a steam expert, but it seems the professionals I dealt with can't get it right.
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    dpok69 said:

All the controlls are facing the wall, which is another blunder by the plumber. The original boiler also had a similar header and was installed by "professionals" under contract with my then new home. This new plumber had me think he knew what he was doing and I put my trust in him. Thanks for the mini lesson on vents Fred. I never wanted to be a steam expert, but it seems the professionals I dealt with can't get it right.

Yeah could definitely be piped much better, and the plumber should have installed a Weil-McLain EG boiler as the controls are on the left side.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 270
    Options
    Wow! Does this need help. Line voltage wiring is not to code. Flue pipe needs attention, cold feed on a boiler relief valve tee will corrode it over time?
    I'll bet the boiler mfg manual may give you some info. It is there isn't it?
    I've seen this work before. Lacks tools, like sheet metal snips, pipe threaders, cutters, hammer and screwdriver for securing wires and hangers. Or maybe it was lack of knowledge??? If any of my people did this it would be removed and redone properly.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    Oh my goodness. @Danny Scully, please help this person.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Danny Scully
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    dpok69 you'll be glad you called Danny..
    Danny Scully
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    1. Call @Danny Scully
    2. Demand a refund. That install is a joke.

And no way does an improper Hartford Loop lead to early boiler failure...
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Danny Scully
  • dpok69
    Options
    Ugg...I contacted dannys office and am scheduled to be seen.
    Danny ScullyNew England SteamWorksbrandonf