Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The return pipe that was a supply

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited February 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
The return pipe that was a supply

The heating business has a way of humbling you. And even the most experienced pros can run into surprises. Take this job, for example.

Read the full story here

Ironman

Comments

• Jackmartin
    Jackmartin Member Posts: 196
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Excellent advise ,I have done exactly the same thing. The call backs I especially do not like are the ones after hours, you have to wait until the next morning ,so you spend all night thinking about what could be wrong. You cannot sleep, so you spend the time reading every book you have trying to find a clue to the problem, no fun.All.the best Jack
    JudySweetlandMarjPinard
  • cubbydog
    cubbydog Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Ghost flow is a common occurrence but usually not a problem unless there is an extreme imbalance in the zone btu requirements. Recently I noticed a indirect hot water heater causing ghost flow, the couple didn’t use enough hot water to cause any over heat problem summer or winter. The piping to the indirect hot water heater went down so it did not overheat.
    MarjPinard
  • SgtMaj
    SgtMaj Member Posts: 76
    Options

if the basement zone valve was situated on the return line before the connection to the system return would you still have had the same problem?

• SgtMaj
    SgtMaj Member Posts: 76
    Options

Never mind, I see the error of my thought.

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    edited March 2023
    Options

Well sleuthed Dan. That stamped tin ceiling is everywhere in DC. Theres one thing I miss about DC service work… nothing.

MarjPinard
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,260
    Options

ha ha. I knew old timers who celebrated invention of circulating pump that would make HHW so simple. Especially compared to steam. HeatingHelp shows nothing is simple.

• Rich Davis_2
    Rich Davis_2 Member Posts: 117
    Options

What I noticed is that circulator is on the return so it's not pumping away, or did I miss something?