Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Alfred

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited August 2018 in THE MAIN WALL

Alfred

I was in my mid-30s when I first met Alfred. He was probably 20 years older than me. I never asked exactly how old he was. That would have seemed disrespectful because I was the teacher that day.

Read the full story here

Comments

• dgn
    dgn Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Wonderful! Thanks for pointing out how none of us are perfect and that we all need to remember and make room in our lives for that.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    My eyes are sweating.

Both of my grandmothers had Alzheimers. I remember the first time I looked at them and they didn't know me. It took years for them to pass, but those are the days I actually lost them. Alfred was smarter than he knew, he knew to say goodbye, so many never get that opportunity.

My mothers, mother was kept in the dark about her own condition. I never thought that was right, but it wasn't my decision to make.

Dan, your writing is beautiful as always.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,293
    Options
    This one is especially close to our hearts. My grandmother was a wonderful woman. Thanks for sharing this story, Dad.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    Thanks for letting us in to your life, Dan. We all have people we love more than ourselves, but not everyone realizes this shared bit of humanity.

And no, I'm not tearing up. I got something in my eyes, earlier.

• W3DLB
    W3DLB Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Dan and Erin. A lot can be learned here.
  • Skepticelt
    Skepticelt Member Posts: 8
    Options
    A touching story.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    Thanks. Just be there.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jackmartin
    Jackmartin Member Posts: 196
    edited August 2018
    Options
    My mother In law has vascular dementia it is a nasty state of affairs. I wish my wife could have had your relationship with her mother, strangely the dementia has made her less of a shrew. I totally agree with your rational to teaching people, the way you treat others is a direct reflection of who and what you are beneath all our social facades. Our two sons had two teachers in high school ,who changed their life; because of these teachers encouragement ,they have become an electrical engineer and a computer scientist, to their teachers I can only say ,thank you. All the best Jack
  • willasdad
    willasdad Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Lots of things to learn about on the Wall. Many reminders of things forgotten, or things made more clear. This is one to never forget. All too familiar with this scenario. Carpe Diem.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    Yes
    Retired and loving it.