Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydronic Air Handler and Heat Pump

Eire
Eire Member Posts: 8
Hi All
A brief description of where I am and where I need to be
The job has 2 oil Fired Weil Mac lain boilers 145,000 BTU each providing heat via 3 zones to 3 hydronic coils mounted ahead of the exsisting Air Handlers 2 x 2 ton and 1 x 3 ton. The hydronic coils were damaged by frost as was one of the boilers and the air handlers are in poor condition the are probabLly around 25 years old.

I have looked At different air handlers and would like to get ones with both dx and hydronic coils it would make for a nice clean job and the heat btu output could be adjusted with water temp. I have seen on line the First Company and comfort Aire models.I will also be changing the old R22 condensers out and would like the option of. Heat pump.

I’d really appreciate some feed back on the best equipment to use

Thanks

Comments

• EYoder
    EYoder Member Posts: 60
    Our family installs heat pumps and outdoor wood boilers here in VA. We typically use Heil air handlers (has its refrigerant coil) and add a 3 row hydronic coil with 1" outlets, in the duct, sized for the airflow.
    The First Company coils are two row coils (I think) with 3/4” outlets. They do ok, but air temps aren't as high.
    The thicker coils I use are available all over eBay, etc., I get mine from Badger. There are quite a few online suppliers. They work great.
  • Eire
    edited July 2018
    Thanks EYoder
    Your not a fan of the hydronic Air handlers then?
    If I go with the external coil will the fan on the 2 and 3 Ton Air handlers be ok and have enough CFM The ductwork is existing and worked fine with the last set up.

Thanks
  • EYoder
    EYoder Member Posts: 60
    edited July 2018
    I try to size a minimum of 80 sq in of finned area per ton to keep the pressure drop to a minimum with the 3 row coils which generally have higher air temps.
    I'm sure the hydronic air handlers will heat, but using a standard heat pump air handler means we can get that at our local supply house with their support, standard equipment.
    Then just adapt the duct to fit a coil. Not a difficult add on, they're 3.5" thick. Usually use another relay or two to control everything. Nothing complicated.
    But that's just my preference. :)
    ratio
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    I am not impressed with First Co. I would look at Majic Aire. They can usually taylor the coils to what you need
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    First Co. has not worked out well for us. We use Carrier variable speed air handlers with Aquecoil hot decks. Aquecoil makes hot deck coils to match most oem air handlers.
  • Eire
    Thanks guys , that’s valuable info. I take it from you all that an external coil is the way to go and I’m fine with that as it gives me more leeway in choosing a HP and AH. On the AH it looks like variable speed is the way to go. I assume this will ramp up based on static presure etc I know EYoner mentioned Heil and Dan Carrier. I’m in the NY CT area are there any other brands to specific models of these ones again many thanks for your input.
    Brian
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Adding a Hydro coil to a heat pump is common just make sure the contractor figures in the added static pressure in there duct sizing calculations.
    Eire
  • Eire
    Thanks Pecmsg.
    I like your avatar.