Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect Water heater installation issues

Options
pyrotalk
pyrotalk Member Posts: 7
edited April 2018 in Radiant Heating
We recently replaced the Amtrol 42 gal water heater to Burnham Model# AL35SL 35 gal indirect water heater and ever since, the heat doesnt flow. Replace the pressure reducing valve and again, no heat. The boiler seems to fire up but somewhat the pressure keeps dropping to 5 psi. I do get hot water. I have a Weil-Mclain II-4 boiler, 10K BTU/hr. They should be compatible.. Then what would the problem be?

thanks

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    You might want to repost this to the main wall, where more eyes will be on it than in radiant heating.
    What does your installer think about the problem?
    Were the manufacturer’s installation instructions followed? Post some pictures of the boiler and its piping.
    Are you sure the pressure gauge is accurate?
    When exactly does the pressure drop?—NBC
    Rich_49
  • Simply Rad
    Simply Rad Member Posts: 184
    Options
    Since you just had your indirect replaced and the system was cut into for the install, I would look at air lock in the heating system. A proper purge would be the first place to start. Check the fill valve and expansion tank also. Have you spoken with the contractor about the problem?
    Jeffrey Campbell
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    a pic of the install would be nice, i agree with simply rad tho, but its a guess at best
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • pyrotalk
    Options
    Thanks. Plumber tightened the wire nuts and connections to module. The zones valves are calling for heat and the furnace module is working. (powers on) He touched the circulator pump and felt vibration so all 3 are working. He tightened the backflow that was leaking but in doing so, he dislodged this joint valve and now is leaking (can anyone guess what it is) He Called Mclain and they suggested to add a secondary transformer because is drawing too much power from the 3 zone valves and the burnham water tank. Right now, i have one transformer. I dont know if this correct. Also need to change the expansion tank.i didnt had this problem before. and one transformer was doing the job but i suppose is doable. Has anyone had to add a second transformer??

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Does that have the TPI controller on it? Pretty good chance it is not wired right. It needs a separate power source. Looking at the rats nest of wiring not surprised that that's the issue
  • RomanP
    RomanP Member Posts: 102
    Options
    What is your pressure when the system is off?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Is your expansion tank just hanging on that pipe? It is possible that if it gets water logged the weight will crack a fitting.

Is there a control wire laying on the exhaust right at the boiler?
    That gets hot enough to melt wire insulation.

Should start over with the wiring, IMO

Wiring might be simpler with a single larger transformer.
    CanuckerTinman
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    If that mess of wiring is powered by the boilers's transformer, that is likely the problem. I product like this one would clean everything up and give you domestic priority.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-ZVC404-4-4-Zone-Valve-Control-Module-with-Priority?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_6zB25nO2gIVhLrACh2K7gP3EAQYAiABEgLD6vD_BwE

It is impossible to determine if the piping is correct from you pictures. How did your check valve get so abused? Is the pressure drop only when the circ is on? Where is the PRV?

I have concerns about the contractor that did not immediately recommend cleaning up the wiring.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Tinman
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    The picture is a backflow preventer. And even I can do a better soldering job...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Tinman
  • RomanP
    RomanP Member Posts: 102
    Options
    As far as additional transformer goes, check your zone valves amperage in specs. ( or VA rating). Honeywell’s should be around .3 add all 3 together to get your combined amperage. Then Check that number against your transformers capacity. And if transformers capacity is enough, then the answer is “NO” need for additional transformer. Plus, I wouldn’t listen too much into tech support. Because, as experience shows, 50% of the people on the other side of the phone call, shouldn’t even be there
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    You have air in the system. There is no proper automatic air separator in the system. Only one you have is a small air vent which is not capable of removing large amounts of air that is in the system.
    Chances are good that if it wasn't recently changed it probably doesn't even work.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    pyrotalk said:

Thanks. Plumber tightened the wire nuts and connections to module. The zones valves are calling for heat and the furnace module is working. (powers on) He touched the circulator pump and felt vibration so all 3 are working. He tightened the backflow that was leaking but in doing so, he dislodged this joint valve and now is leaking (can anyone guess what it is) He Called Mclain and they suggested to add a secondary transformer because is drawing too much power from the 3 zone valves and the burnham water tank. Right now, i have one transformer. I dont know if this correct. Also need to change the expansion tank.i didnt had this problem before. and one transformer was doing the job but i suppose is doable. Has anyone had to add a second transformer??

I see wrench marks on the copper tubing... An indication that the mechanic doesn't really know what he's doing. I suspect the tank is air locked as others have said. May be other issues, but that one needs resolved first.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    What do you mean "the heat doesn't flow"? I'm dumb, you have to spell it out for me.

The Honeywell zone valves draw 7.7 Volt Amps (VA) each when they are activated.
  • pyrotalk
    edited April 2018
    Options
    The pictures says 40 VA. So i called Honeywell Tech and they computed to be 1.67 Total Amps.
    Some say here that each zone valve has 0.3 amp (7.7VA) for a total of 3 zone valves = 0.9amp (23.1). So we should be well below the amp limit for the transformer. Either McClain is lying or the plumber pulled a prank call on me lol. Plumber did mentioned that the Burnham 35gal draws a bit of current as well. I thought whatever current will come from the zone valve

yea, the expansion tank should be supported. i hate how is installed. i cant check the pressure. too close to the wall

Also, how do i determine if the backflow is damaged or just need tightening. The plumber might want to change it and charged me for extra work

thanks

Video of backflow:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gxaLGCoBJPe0xHEOdlOyMPy1voP5AeE2
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Please stop letting people latch onto the valve and pipe with vise grips.

The large nuts on either side of the valve are unions. Inside the union is a flat washer. The washer is likely worn out and in need of replacement. If you use 2 wrenches, using opposing force, to open the unions, you can remove the washer. Any supply house or good hardware store will be able to size replacements. Clean the smooth faces in the union and install the new washers.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    @HomerJSmith Water flows. Heat transfers.
    Steve Minnich