Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pigtail all wrong

Options
aarondavid
aarondavid Member Posts: 9
Hi new to the boards here. Recently ordered and have been reading Dans book about “ we got steam heat”. the few paragraphs on the orientation of the pigtail were enlightening. Mines is all wrong but doesn’t look like it can just be turned the right way because it’s connected to the sight glass. i’ve included some pics. how can this be corrected? it’s a penco boiler that was here when i purchased the house.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    While it is a sloppy installation, it will do its job, as is. From an appearance perspective, that Tee that the Pigtail is mounted to may be able to be turned enough to actually make the pigtail/Pressuretrol vertical.
    aarondavid
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    What were they thinking? As @Fred said, it'll work that way just fine -- since it is a microswitch type. I'd not fiddle with it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    aarondavid
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    The loop should be holding water, so it's at least functional, and the pressuretrol seems to be set as low as it can go, so you've got that in your favor as well!

That said, it does look like crap. To fix it, you'll need to remove the upper sight glass valve & either spin the tee around until the piggytail is level, or (what I'd suggest, if you do decide to fool with it) pull the tee off & start over with it.

aarondavid
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 268
    Options
    Could you please back up a few feet and take a picture of the rest of the boiler piping.
  • aarondavid
    Options
    sure!!!!

Could you please back up a few feet and take a picture of the rest of the boiler piping.

• aarondavid
    Options

sure!!!!

• Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 268
    Options
    In your other post you mentioned that you have severe water hammer, is that something new? I think the boiler piping may be a big part of your problem. Not familiar with that boiler, and can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like 2 supplies leave the rear of the boiler with the supply tee in between them. A definite piping no no.
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Options
    I am afraid you have some issues...
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • aarondavid
    Options
    > @Alan Welch said:
    > In your other post you mentioned that you have severe water hammer, is that something new?

It seems like this heating season it was the worst it’s ever been. This is the setup i’ve inherited. Would like to right the wrongs this summer. It’s warming up weather wise here in NJ now.
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Options
    You need a steam expert.

You could insulate all the pipes yourself, get the good stuff not that foam junk, all steam lines need to be insulated at least the supplies or you are turning to condensate before the radiators and that will cause all kinds of issues including hammer.

Check for any missing or broken pipe hangers and check pipe pitch, old homes settle and pipes don't.
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Options
    I would also suggest replacing that dry base junk boiler with something better like a Weil McLain, when you have the money, get one of the experts here in your area to do it and address any other piping issues at the same time.
  • the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    Options
    I wouldn’t bother insulating the pipes until the near boiler piping has been corrected and system pressure is confirmed/controlled reliably.
    aarondavid
  • aarondavid
    Options
    i agree
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    It will also be easier to check the slope of the pipes, and re-support if needed, without insulation on them.--NBC
  • aarondavid
    Options
    thanks so much
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    the site glass looks like mud..be curious to see whats in the water....
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    I agree on checking the slope of the pipes before insulating them. Much easier. On the other hand, to respond to @the_donut 's comment, insulating the pipes is something the homeowner can do (as is correcting the slope of any sagging pipes) , easily, in a weekend -- and always makes a positive difference. So why not go ahead an do it?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England