Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wiring replacement furnace circuit board

Options
scotty27
scotty27 Member Posts: 5
I was told by a plumber that I need a new circuit board on my Rheem Criterion gas furnace. They don't make the same boards anymore. I found one that says its a replacement, but it has one terminal missing. I have two yellow wires going to 2 different terminals on the original board, that are both labeled XFMR SEC. The replacement board only has one of these terminals. Would it work if i joined these two yellow wires and connected them both to the only terminal for XFMR SEC on the new board? Otherwise everything else matches up.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    The proper replacement board has the proper terminals. Maybe, but a picture of both boards would help.
    You could also look at the wiring diagram to see.
    Of course your best option would've been to hire a pro, who would have done some proper troubleshooting, and most likely would've had a board on their truck, if that was indeed what was wrong.
    steve
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Inside the furnace blower door is a label. It would have either an electrical ladder diagram or a electrical schematic or both.

I corrected this comment because the two yellow wires are a transformer secondaries. Do not connect them together.

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    It's the xfrmr secondary, sounds like. Both MUST land on the board, in one form or another.

I would think that the appropriate aftermarket/replacement board would have a wiring diagram that crosses the existing board to the new one. If you have to guess, you might be better off getting a pro.

• scotty27
    Options
    I did hire a pro, and he came over and got one furnace fired up. He told me the other one needed a new board and didn't have one on his truck. He hasn't returned my phone calls since he came by. I figured I would at least get the new board before I called someone else. Anyway, I ordered a replacement board that matched up with the model number and the part number when i searched for it, but It isn't the same part number. It's supposed to replace the old board. I'll follow the wires to see if they connect. Thanks
  • scotty27
    Options
    MODEL NUMBER RGDG - 10NBRJR
    SERIAL NUMBER CY5D307 F2894 5761

OLD BOARD PART NUMBER 62-22694-11

NEW BOARD PART NUMBER 62-24268-03
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Options
    CALL A PROFESSIONAL

THIS IS NOT FOR A HOMEOWNER
  • scotty27
    Options
    I don't know why there are two wires, there is no AC.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    What is the make of the board? Is it an Electronic Fan Timer board or an Integrated Furnace Control Board. A picture would help. Honeywell and White Rodgers make Universal Replacement Boards but need to know who makes the board and the actual board number not part numbers.
  • HomerJSmith
    Options
    Are you positive that the new board is a replacement for 62-22694-11?
  • HomerJSmith
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Ok, the 62-22694-11 has a XFMR sec and an XFMR com(mon). That board is powered by a transformer that is not a part of the circuit board. The two yellow wires should not touch together or you will blow the transformer internal fuse, and kiss it goodby. The two yellow wires are the secondary of the transformer. I don't think it will make much difference which yellow wire connect to which tab. If the transformer is marked com on the secondary then connect that wire to the com tab.

The 62-24268-03 board does have an XFMR common and sec tab. It has two tabs just like the old board. Look closely at the bottom where it say 24Vac XFMR-COM & SEC.
  • scotty27
    Options
    What would solve the problem is if the original board was available someplace.
  • HomerJSmith
    Options
    You can buy the original board on Ebay it you trust that source.

If your new board is a replacement for the old board, just use the new board. But, I wasn't able to verify that the new board is a direct replacement. You should verify.