Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for the smallest BTU input condensing gas boiler

bob eck
bob eck Member Posts: 930
What manufacture has the smallest BTU input gas condensing boiler?
Burnham, Lochinvar, Weil Mclain, HTP, peerlees, Navien, Bosch, Rinnai, ICB, NIT or any other condensing heating boiler only.
What is the turn down on the condensing boiler with smallest BTU input?

Comments

• HardBoiled
    HardBoiled Member Posts: 2
    RInnai E50cr is a combi with a heating input range of 13.6 - 50 mbh. Has a 85 mbh top end on DHW. Heating TDR is 3.7 : 1

Not sure if there are any other combis that small, but there are some small heat only models:
    RInnai E60sr: 60 mbh
    Bosch: 57 mbh
    IBC: 51 mbh
    HTP (EFT): 55 mbh
    Laars: 50 mbh
    Lochinvaar: 55 mbh
    Navien: 55 mbh
    Utica/Dunkirk: 50 mbh
    Peerless: 50 mbh

Energy Star has a good residential gas condensing boilers page:
    https://www.energystar.gov/products/most_efficient/boilers
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Last time I checked, the lowest modulated output was 8K BTU's.

The HTP UFT-80W with 10:1 turndown gives you up to 80K BTU's for for fast DHW indirect tank heating and down to 8K BTU's for spaceheating.
    You can also limit it's fire rate between 100% down to 50% (on both spaceheating and DHW supply) so it can be a 40K BTU output boiler for spaceheating and an 80K BTU boiler for DHW.
  • rbeck
    rbeck Member Posts: 56
    The USBoiler (Burnham) has two the K2WT80 (watertube) and the Aspen ASP85 (firetube) both are 10:1 turndown. So minimum is 8K and 8.5K respectively. The inputs can be reduced for heat or hot water independently.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    bob eck said:

What manufacture has the smallest BTU input gas condensing boiler?
    Burnham, Lochinvar, Weil Mclain, HTP, peerlees, Navien, Bosch, Rinnai, ICB, NIT or any other condensing heating boiler only.
    What is the turn down on the condensing boiler with smallest BTU input?

Should be asking what units have the lowest output .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    SuperTech
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    It seems to me that if your are running primary and secondary loops with a constant primary flow, you would get better efficiency with a buffer tank, than a high TDR boiler (even with a nice low min fire rate). Since at low loads your primary loop is basically going around in a circle resulting in a hot return temperatures.
    Some boilers (like Lochinvar) have a 0-10v output for a variable speed primary pump that should give you some efficiency from less diluted RWTs.
    I’ve noticed the smaller modcons seem to have lower TDRs, almost as if they were just throttled versions of their higher output siblings.
    SuperTech
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Lochinvar whn056 has a 10:1 turndown, 8.3 thousand btu low fire.
  • Brewbeer
    Brewbeer Member Posts: 616
    SuperJ said:

Some boilers (like Lochinvar) have a 0-10v output for a variable speed primary pump that should give you some efficiency from less diluted RWTs.

What small pumps currently available have a 0-10v input for speed control?
    Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    edited March 2018
    I’ve seen a couple. I’ve seen a Grundfos UP style pump with a 0-10v. I think it had a VS designation. Was before ECMs got popular.

I know either Taco or B&G offers it on a small ECM circ. but you have to buy an add on for the pump.

EDIT. Here is a thread that covers the topic.
    https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/163190/0-10v-circulator-pump
  • 1sttimeposter
    1sttimeposter Member Posts: 39
    SuperJ said:

It seems to me that if your are running primary and secondary loops with a constant primary flow, you would get better efficiency with a buffer tank, than a high TDR boiler (even with a nice low min fire rate). Since at low loads your primary loop is basically going around in a circle resulting in a hot return temperatures.

I’ve noticed the smaller modcons seem to have lower TDRs, almost as if they were just throttled versions of their higher output siblings.

This's very interesting. We just installed an IBC SL10-85 G3 and have an Alpha2 pump on the primary heating loop.

I don't think this Alpha2 is hooked up to the 0-10v output terminal on this IBC which has, but curious how a variable speed pump hooked up to a 0-10v output can help efficiency from less diluted return water temp.

Thanks in advance.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Condensing boilers are more efficient when return water temps are low. With the boiler managing the circulator, it can slow the flow during low fire to increase the boiler delta t and maximize efficiency.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    kcopp
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 394
    I don’t think it is the lowest output, but I have been pretty happy with my Triangle Tube CC50s thus far. It was fairly cost effective to buy and it has a DOE output rating of 46 and I think it has about a 4:1 turndown capability so minimum output is probably 12 or so. My building has a design temp heat loss of 38, and the little TT is working well so far.

My typical SWT is upper 70s low 80s with RWT in the low 60s.
    kcopp