Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Building bookcases up to an electric radiant heat ceiling

We live in a house built in the late 1960s with electric radiant heat ceilings. The heating system works fabulously. I would like to have installed floor to ceiling built-in bookcases around the perimeter of one large room. My carpenter is concerned that having the ceiling blocked around the perimeter could "burn out" the heating system. Is this true? (Of note, the kitchen has cabinets attached to the ceiling most of the way around). If it is true, how much below the ceiling must the book cases stop?

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,625
    I don't know about the electric elements themselves, but it's possible that they don't extend all the way to the walls. An easy way to check would be with an IR thermometer, they're pretty cheap at the big box stores nowadays. Turn the system on & watch for where it gets hot & where it doesn't.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    You are on borrowed time with a radiant electric system that old. They just don't last that long.

I don't think you will burn out the system but the wood may not like the heat. I think if you hold the cabinet down and inch or 2 and apply a crown mold you should be OK. Obviously no nails.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    I agree check with an IR thermometer. But I would keep the bookcases 1 foot below. If you need a space you need a real space and you may need to paint the ceiling someday.
  • MikeG
    MikeG Member Posts: 169
    My dad did plastering and we did a lot of those ceilings in the late 60s to the early and mid 70s. I would think that the kitchen cabinets were planned so hopefully no wires are under that section. I would leave some space above how much I don't know. When I've done heating mats under tile floors they say don't put it under any cabinets because it can cause a heat dissipation issue. I guess I would treat it the same.