Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burner tube lifting..... aaarrrrgghhh

Options
KCA_2
KCA_2 Member Posts: 308
Hello all ;
I have a Teledyne Laars boiler, JVT 100-C ( built in 1987.) That i just can't get the far left burner to stop lifting.
This is a propane boiler. Pressure is right around nine on the manifold. Draft is about -.02 and combustion CO is right at 50ppm. Oh! We are at 7200' ASL.... I have visually inspected the exchanger and it looks clean enough. Probably should be cleaned at some point next fall . I don't believe that that's the issue. This happens typically twice a day once in the morning and once in the evening. The propane comes from a respectable source. When this happens the homeowner was turning off the gas valve and then turning it back on. And that would solve the problem but he did that so many times I was there the other day to replace the gas valve. I've pulled and switched the orifices. So that doesn't seem to be the problem. Their number 55. There has got to be an answer that I have overlooked and just can't resolve myself to walking away. I need to know what the answer is. Of course this guy lives about an hour from here. So there's a two hour round-trip every time I would go out there. The other burners don't lift just that one on the left. It's the last one off the supply manifold...
I would think anyone that might have a suggestion I call tech-support with no help.

I talked to the homeowner today and suggested that he close the air shutter on that burner . Usually they don't do anything but I thought I'd give it a try. So we'll see.
Thank you in advance for your time.
Don't you just love mind twizzlers?

:-)) Ken
:-) Ken

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Are all the orifices clean and unobstructed? A dirty one down the line could push more gas out through the “lifter”.—NBC
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    #55 spuds seem reasonable and 9" w/c is ok. When the flame lifts off the burner tube, it indicates to me an increase in velocity.

This is a natural draft boiler. Did you remove the burner tubes and thoroughly clean them? I mean clean the outside and the inside of the burner tubes. All the slits in the tube need to be cleaned. After all these years of use, I think that the burner tubes are clogged at the slits and you don't have flame along the whole length of the tube. When you're done with wire brushing them, spray the inside of the tube and slits with automotive brake cleaner. I bet your whole flame configuration changes. Then you can adjust the shutters.
  • KCA_2
    Options
    Thanks for the response guys... I've checked the orifices and I've cleaned the burner tubes.... I use a fitting brush to clean the slots in the burner.... I look inside but haven't used a cleaner.....
    When it works the burner flame is perfect. So it seems like it is something intermittent , like how cold it might be in the morning in the evening..... IDK....
    I would think it would have something to do with either the pressure or air. This is keeping me up at night LOL. thanks for all your comments so far I really appreciate it
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    Hold on. Any chance the outside regulators are iced up or covered with snow and not regulating properly? You measure the input and output gas pressures on the gas valve when the boiler is acting up?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options

Hold on. Any chance the outside regulators are iced up or covered with snow and not regulating properly? You measure the input and output gas pressures on the gas valve when the boiler is acting up?

This is what I was thinking. Check the one on the tank as well. I could malfunction with no visible issues.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • KCA_2
    Options
    No... I'm not around when it happens... and why always the far left one.... ha! It keeps me awake.....
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    I hate to admit it, but I have slept with boilers before... And you too may have to Kenny. If memory serves me correctly, that burner has no shutters to be adjusted, which sucks. I have fashioned aluminum foil to act as a shutter to control the flow of primary air. Might have to try that in an attempt to cure your problem.

I hate when that happens...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• KCA_2
    Options
    Well, ok..... here is the answer..... it's been a week now with no lifting... owner texted me.... closed the shutter on the offensive burner 1/3...... that's all it took.... the answers are typically simple.... yikes! It wasn't so easy while I was trying to figure it out though.
    And yes, the LP Laars boiler comes with shutters...... the NG doesn't......
    Thank everyone!
    ratioSuperTech