Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

RTV on NG black pipe

Options
cnmdesign
cnmdesign Member Posts: 103
edited January 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
Has anyone ever used Blue RTV silicone on NG black pipe or other gas fittings?. I know it's not for use with gasoline.
What about Permatex®, Form-A-Gasket® products or MotoSeal® #29132 that are designed for applications in a gasoline environment.

Thanks
Combat Veteran owned, Final Salute LLC on FaceBook & Twitter.
www.afinalsalute.com

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    No. Wrong application. If you can't use it on gasoline it shouldn't be used on fuel oil or natural gas. They all come out of the same well.
    cnmdesignSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Exactly as @EBEBRATT-Ed said. There are specific products made for the petroleum industry to seal threads. Gasoila from Federal Process is my go to.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Your local gas code dictates what u can use..and it most likey follows NFPA codes
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,707
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm confused. What does methane have to do with gasoline and since when do they come out of the same well?

I agree with j a. I don't know if it'll work but I doubt code allows it. Why do you ask? Damaged threads?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

I'm confused. What does methane have to do with gasoline and since when do they come out of the same well?

I agree with j a. I don't know if it'll work but I doubt code allows it. Why do you ask? Damaged threads?

Gasoline is refined from crude oil. Pockets of methane are frequently found while drilling and it’s effectively a byproduct. Modern techniques of extraction including “fracking” result in even more natural gas. That’s why it’s remained so cheap. Methane is a petroleum product. It’s a hydrocarbon. But it has a high ratio of hydrogen so it burns cleaner but much lower energy density so less portable.

Refiners originally just burned it off then realized it could be cleaned, moisture removed and sold in pipelines direct to consumers like electricity. Cleaner than coal gas.

• cnmdesign
    Options
    Everyone seems to agree that dope is a lubricant and not a sealer.
    Just wanted to know if there was a sealer for gas pipe that would all most guarantee no leaks.
    www.afinalsalute.com
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    Bury the threads, then a turn for luck? I've had to come along after him before!
    Solid_Fuel_MancnmdesignGordy
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,707
    Options
    I certainly don't agree with that. Dope is both a sealer and a lubricant. In my opinion dope is a better lubricant and ptfe tape is a better sealer and combined they work better than one alone. But I've never used anything more than just dope on gas lines. It's such low pressure it's easy to seal.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    cnmdesignSolid_Fuel_Man
  • cnmdesign
    Options
    Thanks to all. Was always having a Pro do the gas. Was just going to make a suggestion if something turned up here.
    www.afinalsalute.com
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    I was told by an Uponor Rep on a CSST fitting that was leaking no matter how much I tried to seal it to use Lock-n-Seal or Locktite to seal it. It worked.
    cnmdesign