Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

High temperature sump pumps

Options
Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
What is Everybody using for boiler room sump pumps
Installs 2 high temperature in the last week, went back to both jobs yesterday had to pull the pumps and reinstall to get them to work.
Impeller moves freely with a screwdriver I suspect there was some debris there that fell off when we were pulling them out.
Obviously if the boiler is in a pit as both of these are sump pump failure could be disastrous.
Cost is not so much of an issue but would need something that’s very reliable

Comments

• Steve_210
    Options
    Bump
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,909
    Options
    What are they pumping? Just groundwater? Blowdown water? What failed, exactly?
  • Steve_210
    Options
    Actually I think it was just Very hot water what is everybody using for boiler room sump pumps?
  • kevinj_4
    kevinj_4 Member Posts: 91
    Options
    Why do you have water that hot in the sump pit?
  • kevinj_4
    Options
    High or low pressure boiler?
  • Steve_210
    Options
    Low pressure mainly steam some Hot water
  • Steve_210
    Options
    Blow down on mechanical low water cut off’s
    Water can be very hot
  • kevinj_4
    Options
    Steve_210 said:

Blow down on mechanical low water cut off’s
    Water can be very hot

Then you need a condensate cooler, most areas only allow 140° water to sewer and a standard pump will handle that.

If you overheat the pit then your pump is cavitating.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Do two pumps. One installed at the bottom of the pit and another one installed on a couple of blocks for a backup in case the first pump fails.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    I moved and re-installed a Zoeller pump for the same thing last year, to take blow down from a steam boiler. No issues at all. The things been working great for a few years now. Don't know if it is rated for high temp. Looked like a normal sump pump. Just older.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Think I bought some from Grainger a few years back but you would have to search their. Condensate cooler would be good 120 deg is max to sewer I think
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    How much water are they running?
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,628
    Options
    FYI, I got two Zoeller CI pumps & a lead/lag controller from Supplyhouse.com a few years ago for the building sump at my church, cheaper than I could have build up from parts from the Big Box stores. I can put over 100 GPM out the discharge if necessary now, more than enough to keep up with the entering water service plus enough capacity to deal with any rainfall we've had in the last few decades.

Regarding temperature, the pumps I got are good to 130°, so you'd need to recover some heat (preheat domestic water maybe?) or temper via cold water if you can't guarantee the condensate will be cooler than that.