Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Minneapolis St Paul steam?

Options
Gsmith
Gsmith Member Posts: 432
Visiting the twin cities this cold weekend and noticing all the old wood frame 1880s to 1930s houses and was wondering if there is lots of one and two pipe steam residential systems like we have back east (NJ)?

Comments

• mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    Plenty here in SE Iowa so probably even more up
    There. Though many have been ripped out due to cost of repair and lack of local training. Tons of historic homes up there. Big 3000+ sqft mansions with 1 and 2 pipe steam.

When I added central air to my house it would have cost little to add a furnace. But after lot of tuning and a few repairs we are loving it. People are fools to remove these systems.
  • ch4man
    ch4man Member Posts: 296
    Options
    i wouldnt say they're common here but they are around in some older 'hoods. i see a few a year.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    A few years ago there was a St Paul HO here with one pipe steam problems. They had one of those houses you speak of. Historic area with restriction on changes.
    There was a lengthy posting.
    She said there were no steam people in the Twin Cities.

I had a family event in the area and spent about 4 hours studying the system. She did have a plumber change the boiler before this visit/posting. An EDR count showed the boiler just right at 2 X oversized. (He wanted to be sure to have enough heat to correct the existing problems)
    I sent a lot of re-piping diagrams for the plumber to consider. Have not heard if things changed.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    When I was little (like early grade school!) my family lived for awhile in one of those houses. Dad was away for the war (WWII for those who might wonder) and Mama ran the house. It had a hand-fired, coal burning boiler in the basement which caused her some grief, as I recall.

And if recollection serves -- that was some time back! -- it was gravity hot water. I do recall very large cast iron radiators -- but I don't recall any vents, so not one pipe steam.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England