Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bad press for Petro

2»

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,692
    edited January 2018
    @brandonf
    all,
    if you think you're smelling gas, outside, or inside, call the gas co yourself,
    things go kaboom all the time, then you hear that "yeah, we were smelling gas for weeks"
    call the gas co,
    or the fire dept.
    I've had lines repaired on both my properties.
    First one, my brother, a gas co employee, smelled it, Gas was there within an hour,
    Second one, Gas co truck sniffed it on the street, traced it to my outdoors, fixed it next day.
    Call the gas co.
    known to beat dead horses
    Dan Foley
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Oh yes the gas pressure in your street mains can -- and does -- get that low. The problem is present all over New England and the lower New York/Westchester/Dutchess area. Don't know about New Jersey.

You have to remember three things. First, New England uses a lot of electricity. Until a few years back most of that was generated by coal or nuclear power. The environmentalists got after that, and now almost all of it is generated by natural gas. Second, the same environmentalists are vociferously opposed to building new natural gas pipelines. This, despite the known problem that the existing ones simply cannot supply both the new power stations and the old commercial and residential customers when there is high demand for electricity. Third, the power stations get first whack.

Which leaves you, the residential consumer, out in the cold.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    Last week I lost pressure to both of our Nat Gas boilers in our brand new $17,000,000 academic building tripping the low pressure switches. Our provider was struggling to keep up with demand. That week end my home heating oil supplier allowed me to run out. That was the second time they allowed that to happen. As they told me I had to wait 4 days while I made trips to the only rural diesel supplier in the hills, I changed dealers after 16 years. The weather took the Bigs and the Littles by surprise.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    Is washed hard coal still available? How's the price? Why did rural customers stop using it? Oil & LP delivery was always expensive. But one can always haul bagged coal in his own truck.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    I own a 55 acre woodlot, and my daughter has a boyfriend who's a lumberjack. It's tempting...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Grallert
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited January 2018
    I had it all typed out several posts back but deleted it...... if you don't want to be connected to "the man" wood is the only self reliant fuel unless you own a coal mine.....

I habe two full heating seasons worth of heat ready to burn. Don't need to call, or depend on anyone else for heat.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Shalom
    Shalom Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2018
    @Solid_Fuel_Man there's a muffler & brake shop near me, right in the middle of a city, who heats his entire shop (pretty sure it's concrete block) with nothing but a wood stove. He has literally no other source of heat in there.