Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

0 to 16 oz pressure gauge

cdm
cdm Member Posts: 77
Where can I purchase a 0 to 16 oz. pressure gauge for my steam boiler.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    This is a 0-15 oz.
    I have this one on my system and it works great!
    https://www.valworx.com/product/low-pressure-gauge-25-0-15-h2o
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Amazon search for winters gauges. Or supplyhouse.com
    delcrossv
  • Neild5
    Neild5 Member Posts: 167
    > @KC_Jones said:
    > This is a 0-15 oz.
    > I have this one on my system and it works great!
    > https://www.valworx.com/product/low-pressure-gauge-25-0-15-h2o

The link is to 0-15 inches H2H2Onot 0-15 oz
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • cdm
    cdm Member Posts: 77
    KC Jones - Thanks for ihe response. I will check it out.

cdm
  • mygardenshed
    mygardenshed Member Posts: 51
    Updated link for that gauge.
    https://www.pressureworx.com/product/low-pressure-gauge-25-0-15-ozsq-in
    I was searching on here for the same gauge.
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 742
    edited January 2022
    Here's the one I got at supplyhouse. 0-18oz (considerably less than the Wika gauge)

https://supplyhouse.com/Winters-Instruments-PLP301-2-1-2-PLP-Steel-Low-Pressure-Gauge-1-4-Bottom-NPT-w-Brass-Internals-0-32WC

Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • cross_skier
    cross_skier Member Posts: 201
    I brought the cheapest 15lb gauge I could find, as Steamhead says it is useless but you need it to meet code.

I just got a -5" water column to +5" water column gauge very recently that I like a lot.  It lists for $190 and it is big @ 4" diameter.  It will withstand 15psi.  I first saw it on @ethicalpaul 's videos and I found a new one for only $23 ppd (Ebay)
    ethicalpaul
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    delcrossv said:

I used that gauge, but with a little vacuum the needle pulled past the peg stop and now, after correcting that, it is stuck on 2 oz and there is no zero adjustment on it.
    delcrossv
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,005
    Any gauge that has a range less than 15 psig needs to not be on line all the time. The reason is most lower range gauges, except some Magnahelics, are not designed for the pressure (something like 130% of full range) and will leak or worse if the pressure exceeds their structural capability.

The simplest solution is to install an isolation valve immediately before the gauge and keep the valve shut when it is not needed. Better safe than sorry.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    a 15 lb gauge on a 15lb steam boiler does not meet code. They gauge they want is a 30lb gauge, it has to read double of what the safety valve is.

If you put on a low pressure gauge 0-5 psi or ounces or inches of W.C. put a pet cock or better yet a ball valve under it so it doesn't get damaged
  • SteamingatMohawk
    Yup, I should have said 30 psig, I knew better.
  • BM2
    BM2 Member Posts: 10

If you put on a low pressure gauge 0-5 psi or ounces or inches of W.C. put a pet cock or better yet a ball valve under it so it doesn't get damaged

My 0-16 oz gauge does have a ball valve. But how do these gauges get damaged and how would I know when to shut on/off the valve? Is it only in case my vaporstat fails? I think I'd have bigger problems at that point...

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    When you want to view the gauge, open the valve slowly.
    Being pulled into a vacuum does put some stress of oz gauges.

If your vaporstat fails your remaining factory control should shut the boiler down before 2-3 PSI.
  • EdwinD
    EdwinD Member Posts: 159
    Weil-McLain EG55 2 pipe Vapor System
    OP Pressure .10 -.25 oz
    8-Way Boiler Water Treatment
    Barnes & Jones Big Mouth Vents
  • AdmiralYoda
    AdmiralYoda Member Posts: 627
    I wish there was a low pressure gauge 0-16oz or less that could handle and also measure vacuum. Anyone know of one?
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,701
    Any of Dwyer's Magnahelic 2000 line can handle 15psi while displaying a nice range of low pressures. Find them used or NIB on eBay, or even the brand new price isn't unreasonable. My favorite is the -5" to 0 to +5"
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    cross_skier
  • cross_skier
    cross_skier Member Posts: 201
    @ethicalpaul is right, I just picked up a brand new Manehelic 2310 for under $24 on eBay.  Smoking deal they list for $190.  It is a heavy 4" gauge that can withstand 15psi.
  • SteamingatMohawk
    Cardinal rule on HH, no prices.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,670
    edited January 2022
    The other smaller gauge on my boiler besides the Magnehelic is a Dwyer LPG4-D9122N.

It does -8-0-16" w.c.

16" is basically 9 1/4 ounces.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SteamingatMohawk
    If there was a problem that causes the pressure in the system to go high, it could breach the structural integrity of the gauge and cause it to leak. If the pressure gets high enough, it could burst.

Depending on the gauge, it could happen at a pressure lower than the relief valve setting of 15psig. Last year I looked into it and even a 5 psig gauge could fail at 6.5psig (130 % of full range according to more than one manufacturer).

Keep the valve shut unless you want to take a reading is the simplest. A more complicated way would be to have a setup with a valve made with an additional port that would vent the gauge when the boiler port of the valve is shut. But that may be overkill.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,670
    edited January 2022

Cardinal rule on HH, no prices.

That's generally regarding labor costs and quoted prices from contractors, not items that you can go buy on Amazon or Ebay right now and everyone can see the prices.......

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ethicalpaulZolof808
  • SteamingatMohawk
    Understood, but its not hard to post without numbers. That's why language has adjectives...JK