Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydronic floor installation

Options
I have a 20x20 garage/shop that needs heat other than electrical. I really can't raise the height of the floor so I would need to install the pex into the exsisting (uninsulated) concrete slab by cutting/chisilling out the grooves. I can't afford to have the slab completely removed and insulate/re-pore. So would it be worth installing in the current slab from a heat loss perspective? I know I would be loosing heat downward but would it be more economical than heating the garage with an electric heater 4 months out of the year? (Ca.$100 a month in heating cost)
Thanks you.

Comments

• Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    How about a radiant wall(s)?

I installed one at a family members house with quik-trak on top of the sheetrock and left it that way. The area of the garage was also where the workbench and toolbox was kept. If he wanted to install hooks or anything on the wall, he knew exactly where the pipe was with no worries of a puncture.

Dave H.
    Dave H
    Rich_49
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    or radiant ceiling . Even better than walls
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    CanuckerGordydelta T
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I like the ceiling and wall ideas. Radiant gas heaters would be another good choice.
    Every few months someone has the same idea with the grooves in the concrete. Unless you own a concrete coring business and you have a bunch of guys looking for work, If you can't afford to jackhammer it out, you can't afford the grooves.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Agree with others. Roughly 400 feet of grooves in not so optimal slab detail conditions. I assume no gas?

How high are the ceilings?

I like ceilings because it's the plane with the least radiant output blocking objects in a garage / shop space.
    Rich_49
  • steamedchicago
    steamedchicago Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Gordy said:

I like ceilings because it's the plane with the least radiant output blocking objects in a garage / shop space.

I used to work in a shop with ceiling mounted radiant heaters (not hydronic, but gas fired ones). It was miserable. The shop was only kept to about 50 (which was reasonable, hard to keep it warm when cars go in and out all day). You'd bring a cold, snow covered car in, put it on the lift, and get under it. so it was cold, between you and the heat, and then the snow would melt and drip on you.

that's probably not a problem in home shops, but for commercial ones, it's something to think about.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2018
    Options
    We are talking a 20x20 garage. A tight two car. Slab in place not a lot of good options
  • giceman1337
    giceman1337 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    I have a 3 car garage in the frigid winters of Mn. I installed a Reverbay HL3 radiant tube heater https://www.reverberray.com/products/commercial-industrial/low-intensity-infrared-radiant-tube-heaters/hl3-series/

It kept the garage as warm as I wanted it. I kept is 50F (even when it was -20F outside), as that is all I really needed. This product seems to keep the floor and other materials at a decent temperature compared to other forced air heaters I have seen.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,135
    Options
    These are another option. Fast recovery, small footprint, easy to install, less $$ than a radiant system perhaps.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream