Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for experienced Plumber in Brooklyn NY

Options
mleads310
mleads310 Member Posts: 49
Hi guys fairly new to this site. I'm looking for an experienced Plumber in Brooklyn NY(sheepshead bay area) to go over some options for replacing my oil fired direct vent on demand heat/dhw boiler. It seems most of the big companies close to me are either trying to push one product regardless or they just don't have the knowledge. The smaller business are just too busy(which i understand it's winter) to come take a look and really figure things out of don't have the knowledge of the more efficient units.
I'm looking to have work done during the slow season april/May and would rather have all my ducks in a row now so when the time comes there's no confusion.
I was originally debating a combi unit but honestly everything i hear and researched states its not for me, from reliability to btu matching with my heat and dhw use. I've come to the conclusion that i might be stuck with a standard Floor boiler(which isn't bad because they are fairly cheap) and a wall mounted on demand dhw. I'm tight for space and trying to get an idea as to which model etc. Also some Plumbing etc would have to be moved. I would definitely need direct vent or power vented as i have no chimney. I reviewed hundreds of stories here and still more confused then before. I have a 2200sqft(600 of which is in the base!ent apartment) 3zone single family home built in the 40's. Haven't had a professional heat loss calculation done but I did use the online app and with much of my own input error it says i am about 32,000? Fin baseboards thru out house 3 floors(i might be removing baseboard on middle Floor and replacing with radiant floor). 2 showers ruining at same time(low pressure fixtures).

I'm just looking for a knowledgeable and up front Plumber who's willing to put in the time to build a relationship with a future Customer. I live in small area of Brooklyn with all close friends and neighbors. Most blue collar workers. The reason i mention this is because i have an Local Electrician, roofer,carpenter etc and it would be nice to have a Plumber that i can count on,not to mention possibly refer to others.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,395
    Options
    Try @JohnNY . But I'll bet he's pretty busy -- the good ones are.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Ironman
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    Yes. I'm very busy. Probably too busy to commit to an installation in Sheepshead Bay, but I could give you an honest answer about some replacement options.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • mleads310
    Options
    Hi JohnNY, i wouldn't be looking to have the actual installation done until the slow season, i think it's April may? Would that make any difference?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,395
    Options
    I don't think @JohnNY has a slow season. He's too good. But he will give you honest opinions on how to proceed!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    JohnNY
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    mleads310 said:

Hi JohnNY, i wouldn't be looking to have the actual installation done until the slow season, i think it's April may? Would that make any difference?

Yes. By all means. Get in touch when this cold weather breaks and we'll set something up. Thank you!
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • mleads310
    Options
    Thank you Jamie hall for the referral and thank you JohnNY for the help. I'll be reaching out to you as soon as the weather breaks.
  • adambnyc
    adambnyc Member Posts: 260
    Options
    I’m born and raised in sheepshead bay. No natural gas to your house?
  • mleads310
    Options
    I have NG in the house but purchased home with a oil burner
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,055
    Options
    Mleads, you can trust John's recommendations and integrity. Mad Dog
    JohnNY
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hey Adam. Sheepshead Bay Trivia: Do you know what streets were formerly the straightaways
    For the old Thoroughbred Racetrack which closed around 1910? Gravesend neck rd & Jerome Ave. I think the far turn is now Sheepshead Bay Rd. The Legendary trainer Sunny Jim Fitzsimmons stabled his horses there and lived in town until he died in the 1960s. Mad Dog
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • adambnyc
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @Mad Dog I didn’t know that! My grandpa told me that Brighton beach Ave near ocean Ave was part of the track.
  • mleads310
    Options
    I haven't seen a picture of that map in years. All the old stores in area growing up would have old pictures and map sketches. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that one. Pretty cool.
  • adambnyc
    Options
    Brennan and Carr on nostrand and ave U has some great old pictures hung up... as well as great food!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,216
    Options
    Moses Fishman F and S plumbing and heating, Brooklyn
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Yes I went to B & C. Recently great place even though the Ractrack was gone many years before, there were still a lot of racetrack folks that lived there. My Grandfather Bart Sweeney Jr. Was the great Sunny Jim Fitzsimmons right hand man close to 30 years, so my pop, Bart III
    Would visit fitz for Sunday dinner sometimes. Maybe you can find out what street he lived on?
    They trained two Triple Crown winners (only 12 in history) Gallant Fox & Omaha, Nashua 1955 Horse of the year, and Bold Ruler, Secreatariats
    Sure and countless other Big Stakes Winners. Even Seabiscuit for a short time. My pop used take us on the Amberjack5 boat and I remember eating at Lundys. There are only a small handful of carriers on the N.Y. tracks. Exclusively Father son. The Gottesheim's also lived in S Bay. Wonder if they still there. Great chatting Adam
    Feel free to private message me Ahh memory lane. MD
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Good suggestion HR. I remember moses from the early seminar days! Mad Dog