Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

High end antique plumbing

Options
KC_Jones
KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
So across the street from my house is a mansion built by one of the men who helped build up the town. He and another built twin mansions completed around 1913.

My son is helping with Christmas tours this year, his part is running the trains they have on display. His volunteering got us a free tour

So they have this gem in the bathroom. Pretty impressive for the era in my opinion. Thought everyone would enjoy this. Oh and no they don't tour the basement. The hot water radiator system is still in use though.
2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
bob eck

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Real nice. Is that a vacuum breaker of some sort on the valves?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    There is a thermometer to measure the water temperature, not sure about a vacuum breaker. I was a little nervous getting too close, everything in this mansion is pricey.

They have an extensive collection of antiques, cut glass, crystal, Wedgewood, well you get the idea. Historical Society owns it now, having been donated by the last owner.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,323
    Options
    Love that shower!

But I'll tell you -- if you are the one in charge of keeping such a place running and in good order, you get to work with and fix (?) all kinds of things that no one living has ever heard of before. It's really rather fun!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    MilanD
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Were there perforations in the half circles? Was this an early version of a body spray?
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    @Fred yes they are body sprays. My mother couldn't believe it as she thought that was a newer thing, I said there really isn't much that's actually new.

@Jamie Hall the entire historical society maintains this house, the oldest house in town, and an entire library of historical documents.

One of the coolest things IMHO is this mansion is available to rent for events.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,704
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Fred said:

Were there perforations in the half circles? Was this an early version of a body spray?

I'm curious what else you think it could possibly be?

An induction cooker? :)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    CanuckerSolid_Fuel_Man
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    edited December 2017
    Options
    They were ahead of their time... Grab bars in the shower.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Fred said:

I'm curious what else you think it could possibly be?

An induction cooker? :)
    I couldn't see any perforations in the bars. It could have been a towel warmer when not showering, some type of sauna. I could probably come up with several other ideas, if needed.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    The bathroom also had a foot bath, which is a unique fixture for sure. They are also raising funds to restore the bowling alley in the basement.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    I wouldn't mind living in the carriage house, it's bigger than my house and garage combined.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    MilanDRomanGK_26986764589
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    I’ll bet that shower was for the man of house. There were some physicians that were comcerned that women were too fragile to handle the high pressure water stream.
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Options
    I wonder if it is pressure balancing like is done with sprays today
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Nice to polish. Wonder if that was restored, or has stood the test of time.

Is the shower walls glass tile?
  • Scoot
    Scoot Member Posts: 9
    Options
    The ultra wealthy people of the day had those type of showers. Henry Flagler, built Florida East Coast Railroad from Jacksonville to Key West.
    ( partner in the small firm Standard Oil withJ D Rockafeller) built Whitehall, a mansion in Palm Beach Florida for his third wife Mary Lily Keenan.
    She was 40 when they married, he was 80.

They would use the house for only 2 months a year.

The master bathroom has a freestanding shower like the one pictured.

You could fit a 5,000 square foot ranch house in the entry hall of the Flagler mansion.
    The heating system in the house is still pretty much original with some updates and still in use today.

Before air conditioning it was said in the summer when it was hot and humid the staff would heat house as hot as they could for a period of time to keep the mansion from getting moldy.
  • Scoot
    Scoot Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Flagler mansion bathroom had a choice of freshwater or a choice of salt water for the bath or shower.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    @Gordy it has stood the test of time. In person you can see some of the nickel plating is worn off and it's getting down to the brass. Honestly I'm amazed it was left intact all this time. People were living there full time within my lifetime. The fact that it has stayed this original is amazing in my opinion.

Have to add this, there is a sterling silver fountain (about 8' tall) in one of the solariums. I can't imagine what that is worth alone. Oh and the solarium is solid marble floor to ceiling.

The place isn't huge by today's standards, but it is top of the line all the way through.

I am in awe of that house if you can't tell. ;)
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Christian Garibaldi
    Christian Garibaldi Member Posts: 57
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hello, I've heard these called "Rib Cage" showers. They use about 20 gpm. B)

....What he said!
    Those victorian era ribcage or "Needle" showers are so gorgeous! They are rare to come across, and any of the ones I have found that are salvaged are quite expensive. You can still buy one brand new, and the only company that I have found that manufactures one is Waterworks (Which makes GORGEOUS fixtures with prices to match)
    The waterworks ribcage shower in the link below starts at $31k in raw unlaquered brass, but the price climbs up if you want nickel, chrome, etc, and goes all the way up to $92k if you want it finished in matte gold plating ( I mean....go big or go home right? hahahha)
    .....quite a price to pay for the luxury of being able to simultaneously have your butt AND nuts washed at the same time but just imagine how jealous your friends would be when they see that monster installed in your bathroom!
    http://www.waterworks.com/etoile-exposed-thermostatic-shower-cage-with-12-rose-etxs60
    Weil McLain EGH 95 400,000 BTU single pipe steam
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    I don't let my friends in my bathroom to see my monster... :wink:
    RomanGK_26986764589GordyChristian GaribaldiSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    As beautiful as it is that's a legionella breeding ground :D
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,704
    Options
    > @Gordy said:
    > As beautiful as it is that's a legionella breeding ground :D

Not with 140f hot water. Allow it to run for a few minutes after it hits full temp. Done.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Honest question........Why don't we hear of more cases of legionella? The things that we are told we should do to prevent it, are totally disregarded by most of the population. You would think that people would be dropping like flies. I'm not trying to make light of it. I know how serious it is.
    kcopp
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,962
    Options
    Wow! Cool KC. The Phipps Mansion of Old Westbury has great, first class plumbing like that. Teddy Roosevelt's summer Whitehouse, Sagamore Hill was similar and my father in law got behind the scenes there in the 1970s. I think some of the family was still living in the home. It was before it went full-on museum. He said the basement and barns were full of neatly stored
    Nickel-plated or silver plated pipe, valves & fittings for replacement if needed, brand new. Also some of the extra trophy animal mounts that TR cherished. Ahhh Halcyon Days....Mad Dog
    What a treat to be able to see "how the other half lived." Mad Dog