Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Shimming a radiator

Options
celluliteradio
celluliteradio Member Posts: 2
edited December 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello good people of heating help. I recently bought a house built in the 1950s with a single pipe steam system. The radiators are all perfectly level and I’m thinking of pitching them a bit towards the main valve. I’ve heard using a piece of wood as a fulcrum to lift one end will work, and slip shims or washers under the feet while it’s raised. I’m just worried of cracking an old pipe or something while doing this. I’d rather not disconnect them from the supply valve if I can. Anything else worth trying that I have not considered? Or is a 2x4 the way to go?

Comments

• Kahooli
    Kahooli Member Posts: 112
    Options
    you're only lifting it enough to put a shim under. low chance of cracking pipe
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Quarters make excellent shims, but be careful not to lift much above the height to get the quarters underneath. Also pay attention to the state identified on the quarter as some states are better than others{*.—NBC
    MilanDRomanGK_26986764589Canucker
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Do you hear any gurgling or hammer in any of the radiators? If not, don't mess with them. If you do, then pitch those a little more. Sometimes we look for "things to do" when there really isn't a problem. ;)
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • celluliteradio
    celluliteradio Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Merry Christmas and sorry for the delayed response. Two radiators on the second floor have Hoffman 1a vents set to the lowest setting. There’s no water hammer but the vents do bubble a bit when the radiators become totally full of steam. They will also whistle like a boiling tea pot for a minute or two, also only after the radiator has totally filled with steam. The vents are new and do fill with some water, which I assumed might be the whistling issue, and that pitching might help.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,534
    Options
    I agree wit @Fred if their working ok leave them alone. If the vens are spitting or you have gurgling the pitch them a little at a time. You can always shim them and try it add more if needed