Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Pressure test. Good or bad?

Options
LeviW
LeviW Member Posts: 3
Hi All, I pressure tested a radiator that was removed from my 1907 home by a previous owner. It's been sitting in the garage for several years in a very dry climate. I air tested the unit up to 35psi. I let it sit for 1 hr and it dropped to 31psi. When I checked it about 10hrs later it was at 13psi. It was leaking from several places including the plugs used to pressurize it. I was told that our water pressure should be 45-60psi.

So my questions:
I used air for the test. will hot water cause the paper seals to expand thus stopping the leaks?
Should I test it with water?

The pictures below show the bubbles from soapy water. and the pressure gauge.

Thanks,Levi

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,321
    Options
    Probably not paper seals -- much more likely push nipples.

Air is OK for a pressure test, but... are you planning to use this on a hot water system? If so, it should hold at 15 psi. On the other hand, if this is steam it only needs to hold 1 to 2 psi. The water pressure in your house is not relevant.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    LeviWCanuckerGordy
  • LeviW
    Options
    Gotcha. It's a hot water system
  • LeviW
    Options
    did I mess up the seals buy testing at 35psi?
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    I think those have right left threaded nipples so there would probably be a gasket of some kind. You could stand that beast on end fill it with water and put some pressure to it.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,321
    Options
    LeviW said:

did I mess up the seals buy testing at 35psi?

Cheer up. Probably not.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Do you have a clue as to where it was in the home? Why it was removed? And what replaced it?

Curious as to why it was removed. Maybe you are discovering the reason.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    Unless it’s a 3 story building or you need to run 200f+ water temps, 10-15psi is plenty pr sure. that’s all we run on a industrial boiler with piping 25’ off the ground.