Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hot water vs steam radiation sizing?

Options
rhodebump
rhodebump Member Posts: 152
edited December 2017 in Strictly Steam
I am researching adding some hot water heating to a room. I am trying to understand how many new radiators that i would need.

The room is 21' x 32' and has a lot of windows (and poor insulation).
I think it will require 60K BTU of heat in a bad winter night.
According to some of the hot water baseboard units, I see around 600BTU/per foot of radiation

Asking a stupid question, but will this room require 100 feet of baseboard heaters? My impressions of this is that you need a lot more radiation area for hot water vs. steam. Is my impression true?

Thank you so much everybody for educating me.
Phillip

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    I think you need to run your heatloss calculations again. 89 btu per sq ft is off the scale high. Half that would seem high to me.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • rhodebump
    rhodebump Member Posts: 152
    Options
    You are right, I found another calculator that seemed much better. Good observations.

Total Heat Loss for 60o F Temp. Diff. = 24,300.48
    Total Heat Loss for 70o F Temp. Diff. = 28,674.57
    Total Heat Loss for 80o F Temp. Diff. = 32,562.64
    Total Heat Loss for 90o F Temp. Diff. = 36,450.72
    Total Heat Loss for 100o F Temp. Diff. = 40,338.80
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    I agree with @KC_Jones on your heat loss calculations. One of my outbuildings is about that size, cathedral ceiling, no foundation (it's on piers) and no insulation at all. And gets by well enough on 30K at 0 Fahrenheit.

That said, yes indeed the heating capacity of hot water heat -- of any sort -- is much less, per square foot of effective radiation, than steam. It varies with temperature; someone has a chart, but very roughly it's about 2/3 steam if the water temperature is around 180.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    ERD = Equivalent Direct Radiation. Radiators are measured by the sq. footage of surface area they have. That is multiplied times 240 to get the btu output for steam or times 150 to get the btu output for hot water @ 170* average water temp.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    your heat loss is way off. download the Slant Fin app and use that. 15-20k is probably about right